PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
slashing the transmission?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2009, 03:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default slashing the transmission?

Hello,

So I had my transmission flushed at the dealer in which I purchased the vehicle and while flushing the transmission the performed an "update" on my transmission what they called "slashing/slashed" the transmission. They indicated that it was like updating a home computer with new systems. Not only had I never heard of that but they charged me $90 for it.

My question is has anyone ever heard of this? Or did I just get taken?

Thanks

No Mods yet...
Old 20 Jul 2009, 04:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: slashing the transmission?

It's called a "FLASH". It is an update of the transmission controller. It improves shift quality and any number of drivability issues. If the vehicle is under 80k miles then it should have been free. Covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty. If not then that's about the right price.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 07:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Had mine flushed recently and no mention was made of this... got it done at a local tranny shop though, not a dealer.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Interesting! I feel I know a good deal about engines and cars but have never heard of this. Well, I didn't get charged 90 dollars for the flash just for the service/troubleshooting. Thanks for the information. They say you learn something new everyday. I guess they are right.

No Mods yet...
Old 21 Jul 2009, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The tranny in the 2008 was making a "clunk" when it downshifted. As it only had 13500+, I wanted it documented. Went to the dealer and they flashed both TCM (tranny computer module) and ECM (engine computer module) @ NC to me. No more "CLUNK"!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Jul 2009, 11:01 am
Cool Cruiser

what years can get this reflash? how do i know if i aleady have it?

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 23 Jul 2009, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I guess you'll have to take it to a dealer to see if they have any updates for your PT. Many people are "afraid" to see a dealer, as far as I know they are the only ones to do the reflash if needed.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Jul 2009, 05:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

would they charge to see if i need trans re-flash? Because I've heard there is also an ecu software update available for my pt too and wouldn't mind getting both of them done if it needs it.

Old 23 Jul 2009, 07:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it needs to be flashed, ask them to tell you how much and then you can decide if you want it done.

Old 23 Jul 2009, 07:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

gotcha. good call