Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas Mileage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2009, 11:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gas Mileage

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have an '07 PTC convertible (2.4L, non-turbo). I really like the car and appreciate it for what it is (fun drop top that seats 4 very comfortably and is very functional with a decent size trunk).

However, I do have one issue that is slightly bothersome. And that is the mileage for this vehicle. Most ads (Chrysler) touting mileage, typically say this vehicle should be getting around 25/26MPG highway and 20/21MPG city. I have never gotten this "as advertised" mileage. I customarily get 22MPG highway and 19MPG city. I usually drive around 65/70MPH on the highway (which accounts for about 65% of my total). I have even tried upping my octane (use 87/regular unleaded because 89/mid-grade and 91/premium make no difference in my mileage). I do also account for different fuels. I get slightly worse mileage using non-Top Tier fuels and slightly better using them.

Can anyone explain what they do to get better mileage numbers? Even when I changed plugs & air filter, the mileage numbers weren't that effected. I would appreciate any help/inputs that you others do to increase the mileage on this vehicle. Seems puzzling to me that with a 4-cyl. engine, that I get this type of mediocre mileage. Help?

Thanks, in advance, to all.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 11:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Gas Mileage

The PT Cruiser has never been know for it's mileage. The car is heavy for it's size about as aero-dynamic as a brick. The convertible is even less aero-dynamic with the top down. Regular maintenance and upkeep as well as driving habits all come into play in mileage.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !

Last edited by Johns Steel Blue; 23 Jul 2009 at 06:47 am.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Steel Blue View Post
The PT Cruiser has never been know for it's mileage. The car is heavy for it's size about as areo-dynamic as a brick. The convertible is even less aero-dynamic with the top down. Regular maintenance and upkeep as well as driving habits all come into play in mileage.
Hey John, thanks for the input.

I have heard this same info from others. Seems to me, Chryslers' stats about mileage for this vehicle are very misleading (as are the EPA mileage stats). I totally get aerodynamics. However, some folks have told me they have gotten over 25PMG with this vehicle (even some in here, after perousing other threads). How can this be? What are they doing that I am not?

While I can understand driving habits, I can't believe (or just dont want to, I guess) some of the claims of others'. When someone says they're getting this kind of mileage, I kind of frown. There is no way someone should be attaining over 30MPG (I have seen those claims here) with a non-modded engine.

In my opinion, the 2.4L non-turbo 4-cyl. engine should be attaining well over the mileage I am presently getting. Reasonable for a vehicle like this should be much closer to 26MPG.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 12:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

As said, the PT isn't know for its mileage.

I just started tracking mine (see sig) on July 1st and I'm averaging a little over 21 mpg which is driving to and from work on Interstate 16 at 75 mph and some city traffic.

My most recent fillup was 23 mpg and that was me testing the theory of slowing down, cruise control when possible, etc... etc...

I'm pretty sure I could get 26-27 mpg driving on the Interstate if I had the cruise set at 60... problem is, I don't drive that slow

Edit:

Just saw this today on MSN.... might be worth a read. Fuel-Saving Secrets - MSN Autos

Last edited by Travis2k7; 22 Jul 2009 at 12:35 pm.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 01:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

This is a popular topic on any PT forum if you search for it. I think it all depends on driving habit and how your car was optioned. I've heard/seen automatic cars get mid-20's on the highway and I've seen some like yours get low-20's. The stick cars regularly get high-20's, low-30's. I normally get 32 or so on the highway, mid-20's around town. Mine is an absolute base model car so there's no heated or power seats, no sunroof, no leather, nothing extra to add weight. I even have the rear seats out 90% of the time. When I bought mine, I did specifically search for a stick car because of the additional fun and fuel mileage but mostly I bought it for the styling, which I think most of us have done. If you want mileage, go find yourself a diesel VW or a Metro. If you want a cool and fun droptop car, stop worrying about the mileage and enjoy your PT.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 01:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

I should add that if you DO want to try and increase your mileage, you can try changing over to synthetic fluids (transmission and engine). If you don't notice any difference in your mileage, at least your drivetrain's internals will live longer. Lowering the car MAY help (lower to the ground, less air getting "stuck" underneath). The other upside to this is getting rid of the 4x4 wheel gap. A cold air kit may help with the breathing too but only if you keep your foot out of it. In the end, you need to decide if buying all this stuff is worth a couple miles to the gallon over what you're getting now.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 01:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_man View Post
If you want mileage, go find yourself a diesel VW or a Metro. If you want a cool and fun droptop car, stop worrying about the mileage and enjoy your PT.
My thoughts exactly... I'd much rather pay an extra few bucks per tank than drive a Metro.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I totally understand the rationalization vis-a-vis mileage vs. penache. However, it seems to me that any 4-cyl. engine worth it's salt, would/should be able to pull off (easily) getting much more than 22MPG. That is precisely why I asked for inputs as to how others increased their mileage with this vehicle and engine. And many thanks to those who gave me their recommendations.

As an example of how far any rationalization goes. I also own a late model Corvette. It puts out just over 400HP. On the highway, I attain just under 22MPG and in the city, just under 19. That is with a V8, using premium fuel. Now the PTC is a great vehicle (and I do like the vehicle). But when a 4-cyl. engine does not outperform an 8 cyl. (w/over 400HP) on MPG, that's one heck of a compromise, no matter what the utlility or penache of that vehicle is. Just saying.......
Old 22 Jul 2009, 02:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC View Post
But when a 4-cyl. engine does not outperform an 8 cyl. (w/over 400HP) on MPG, that's one heck of a compromise, no matter what the utlility or penache of that vehicle is. Just saying.......
Yep.. the guys here at work laugh at me for driving a PT and for the fact that they get the same mileage is their V6 and V8 trucks that I do in my 4 cylinder PT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC View Post
Most ads (Chrysler) touting mileage, typically say this vehicle should be getting around 25/26MPG highway and 20/21MPG city. I have never gotten this "as advertised" mileage. I customarily get 22MPG highway and 19MPG city. I usually drive around 65/70MPH on the highway (which accounts for about 65% of my total).
Forgot to mention, I didn't get this "as advertised" mileage either until I slowed down... I was getting 19-20 mpg city but as said my last tank was 23.5 MPG and that was driving 65 on the Interstate and 35-45 in town.

I took a trip with it a couple months ago to Atlanta (500 mile round trip) and got 23 mpg cruising at 80-85. Slowing down to 60-65 would most likely put me in the 25/26 MPG highway that Chrysler states.

Bottom line though is the PT is never going to be great on gas mileage. I can live with it though... it's a nice ride and fun to drive.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 03:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

I can get up to 25 mpg out my 5 speed. I understand what you are getting at though. My 2.7 intrepid gets better mileage then the PT and its a heavy car with a small engine. But, if you like the PT then you like the PT...