Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Maintenance

My 06 LE Cruiser hit it's 62,000 mark this weekend. I just received a quote from the dealer to drop, replace filter, and adjust something in the tranny for $220.00.... Is that a reasonable price? I remember getting a coupon in the mail months ago that said it can be done for $90.00.. I'm going through all my old mail and papers looking for it. What do you guys think??
2006 Limited Edition, 2.4L 4-Cyl DOHC 16V SMPI Engine, Magnesium Pearl Coat Paint, AirAid Intake, NGK Plugs, Crane Wires, Freedom Design Strut Bar, front and rear eibach lowering springs & sway bars:-)
Old 23 Jul 2009, 01:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Maintenance

Seems a bit high.. but it's a dealer so it's expected.

I recently had my tranny flushed and got a new filter at the local reputable transmission shop and it was $149.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, I got a deal because the owner of the Chrysler dealer also is the sponsor of my Corvette club. He gave me $50.00 off and to flush the whole system of the PT was $110.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I found the coupon...Automatic Tansmission Tune-up Service- New Mopar filter, new fluid and necessary adjustments for $84.95 . The only problem it expired last month & the dealer it's from is not there anymore. I'll try and convince the dealer down the street to honor the coupon. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the information Travis2K7 & Crewzin ($110.00 to flush the system? are you talking about a radiator flush?) I need to do that too. I'm starting to notice a black/brown ring in the overflown tank.
2006 Limited Edition, 2.4L 4-Cyl DOHC 16V SMPI Engine, Magnesium Pearl Coat Paint, AirAid Intake, NGK Plugs, Crane Wires, Freedom Design Strut Bar, front and rear eibach lowering springs & sway bars:-)
Old 23 Jul 2009, 05:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

You COULD change the fluid and filter yourself but you would get all the old fluid out of the torque converter. They've got a machine to do that, hence why it costs more. The coolant you can do yourself though. Drain what you can from the petcock on the radiator, run some distilled water through it, drain, run water through again, drain and top up with fresh coolant. The best way to get the proper ratio of water to coolant is to take note of how much water you drained from the system. If memory serves correct, you need 7.5 quarts of coolant for the whole system.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 05:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I hope at 62k this isn't your first tranny service.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 23 Jul 2009, 10:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm embarrassed to say this is my first tran.. service. I know I'm looking for trouble by doing that. Its one of those things that i have put aside because i don't know how to do it myself. This is the only part of my baby i have neglected in the past two years I've owned her.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 11:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Transmission Maintenance

Beg...get your best deal.......get it done!
That's my problem...every time I have to search for a coupon; it's expired!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 24 Jul 2009, 06:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCruiser View Post
I'm embarrassed to say this is my first tran.. service. I know I'm looking for trouble by doing that. Its one of those things that i have put aside because i don't know how to do it myself. This is the only part of my baby i have neglected in the past two years I've owned her.
Yeah the tranny is a weak link and you are definitely asking for trouble.

I bought mine at 45k and while the car checked out great I didn't get any maintenance records from the prior owner. (It was a lease car so I'm assuming it was maintained but you never know)

Anyway, I changed the plugs/wires, rotated tires, changed oil (synthetic) and had the tranny flushed (a total flush with the machine)... It's called peace of mind maintenance and guess what? It still had the original plugs/wires!

6000 miles since I bought it and the car has been flawless... AC is ice cold and I've had no issues other than a $25 O2 sensor.

Last edited by Travis2k7; 24 Jul 2009 at 06:25 am.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis2k7 View Post
(It was a lease car so I'm assuming it was maintained but you never know)
Oh boy. Never assume a lease is maintained. Most folks leasing don't plan to keep the vehicle. A few years ago, a guy on a different forum I belong to bought a used Durango that was a lease. I don't remember what the problem was that he was having but he had to remove the intake. The lifter valley underneath was SOLID sludge. The vehicle was never maintained.

EDIT: Not to scare you, that was probably one of the most extreme situations I've seen. I'm just saying to never assume anything and you didn't by doing all that maintenance on it.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.