PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Improvements for Cold Air Intake?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2009, 10:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY
Default Improvements for Cold Air Intake?

I have recently installed a Spectre Intake but have questions concerning how to make it better.

Is there some sort of heat shield I could get to black the hot air. Obviously they come on airaids and such, but could I get just a shield? I popped the hood after a drive and noticed the fan was blowing extremely hot air straight into the filter, totaally defeats the purpose..

I have an air duct for it, but it isnt really functional right now. Any suggestions on how to make better use for it? I thought of moving the battery back slightly to make room for the duct to go down. Looks like its a straight shot.

Also, may seem silly, but is there something on the market like an intercooler for an intake, that blows cold air straight into the filter? That would be hella cool. Tried searching but no luck so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Intake.jpg (95.0 KB, 45 views)

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Improvements for Cold Air Intake?

Here's what you want.
K&N Intake Kit - Apollo Universal Cold Air System (CIS) - THMotorsports - Lowest Price Parts HKS Exhaust Apexi World Sport Koni Seibon Carbon Fiber ACT Exedy Clutch Skunk2
The filter is inside the housing.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Jul 2009, 05:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wow, your setup is awesome! Is that an SRI/ram air setup rolled into one???

I would keep it the way it is. The conical filter takes in the warm air, giving better gas mileage, and once you start moving quickly the ram-air affect will yield more power and better highway mileage. Keep it as is would be my opinion.

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 26 Jul 2009, 02:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
The conical filter takes in the warm air, giving better gas mileage
Are you serious about this statement?
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 03:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Wow, your setup is awesome! Is that an SRI/ram air setup rolled into one???

I would keep it the way it is. The conical filter takes in the warm air, giving better gas mileage, and once you start moving quickly the ram-air affect will yield more power and better highway mileage. Keep it as is would be my opinion.
Oh my, you are so far off base and so wrong it is beyond funny.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 Jul 2009, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_man View Post
Are you serious about this statement?
Are you confused as to how a warmer intake charge equates to a more fuller burn within the combustion chamber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Oh my, you are so far off base and so wrong it is beyond funny.
It's basic physics.. cant really deny thems now done can we.

Old 26 Jul 2009, 09:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Basic PHYSICS---Cold Air is more DENSE therefore at the proper fuel air ratio there is more potential BTU capability in the combustion chamber , therefore more horsepower...The only advantage to warm air is that in extremly cold weather the warm air helps bring the intake tract air up to a usable temperature and that allows the computer to lean out the mixture sooner than the system would with cold air,,That would give you a minimal MPG increase UNTIL the motor warmed up....Shove the choke in class over --no homework

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 26 Jul 2009, 09:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

^ That pretty much says it all.

If you can find ANY proof whatsoever that hot underhood air helps mileage and horsepower, I'll eat my hat.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 01:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsidders View Post
Basic PHYSICS---Cold Air is more DENSE therefore at the proper fuel air ratio there is more potential BTU capability in the combustion chamber , therefore more horsepower...The only advantage to warm air is that in extremly cold weather the warm air helps bring the intake tract air up to a usable temperature and that allows the computer to lean out the mixture sooner than the system would with cold air,,That would give you a minimal MPG increase UNTIL the motor warmed up....Shove the choke in class over --no homework
Touche'

Yeahhhhh, no homework.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Jul 2009, 06:38 am
Cool Cruiser

You guys cant be this ignorant? Perhaps you should get out of the PT forums some day, and experience the world. Why do you think the factory has the stock t-stats set for 220+ degrees? For fun? Because it's cool? NO. It's to induce a better burn, hence giving it better mileage.
Why do you think aftermarket 160* t-stats yield worse gas mileage? For fun? Because nobody like gas mileage anyways? No. Basic physics.

Why do you think people in ny get 5+/- mpg difference in the summer time than the winter time? For fun? Because it's imaginary?

Closed Thread