Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air intake info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2009, 10:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Air intake info

Here is some knowledge to settle the hot air intake discussion.

The main disadvantage to all of these is the fact that they are drawing in hot air from inside the engine compartment. Intake air temperature is very important whenever performance is a concern. It is a general rule of thumb that a engine will loose one horsepower for every additional ten degrees that the intake air temperature is increased.

Here's the whole article

ISUPAGE; Performance Intake System Basics

I rest my case.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Jul 2009, 05:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air intake info

The argument was not over horsepower, but over gas mileage.
I'm not trying to re-institute the debate, just sayin'....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Jul 2009, 06:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Your right! All the big turbo guys run a closed system... *stirs coals to stoke the fire*
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...

Last edited by ChefTank; 28 Jul 2009 at 06:18 am. Reason: Spelling
Old 28 Jul 2009, 06:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Damn, I hate to add to this as I closed the other thread but that was because the "friendliness" of fellow posters was....shall we say lost.

Here's an article about trucks but the question relates to ours ......

Do Cold Air Intakes Increase MPG?

...and more, read down to the "cold air intakes"

Helpful Tips For Better Gas Mileage - 5 Gas Saving Tips

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Jul 2009 at 06:30 am.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 07:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Inline fuel heaters increase mpg but it is like 5% at most. Hot engines and air do nothing except make the engine work harder to achieve the same load.
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)

Old 28 Jul 2009, 11:47 am
Regular Cruiser

When my old company skunkworks modified cars for the Mobilgas Economy Run We found out that higher engine temperatures slightly increased the MPG but that was from lower friction/viscosity from the lubricants and a slightly warmer combustion chamber. The air was brought in from a outside pick up located in the grill area as to get the coolest,most dense air charge,,a rainy day helped even more..This was in the days before fuel injection and electronic ignition..There were no computer systems to adjust the timing and fuel mixture.The same principles still work today and even better results are expected..The higher engine temperatures also help with the emissions... No I don't want to work anymore,,I'm RETIRED

I think somebody got engine temp and intake temp confused in the earlier thread....

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 28 Jul 2009, 05:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Actually, if you lose hp because of intake temps you also lose torque which means your car has to work a little harder and therefore use more gas. On a dyno I saw a PT GT lose 19 lbs/ft of torque with an open heat sucking intake.

Sorry CREWZIN, but that tips for better mpg just lost all credibility with me when they said a cold air intake will give you an easy 5-10 more mpg. If that was really the case then all manufacturers would be using them to dramtically raise mpg on their whole fleet. Funny though, how they all use a closed system to keep hot engine air out of the intake.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Jul 2009, 05:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Here is some knowledge to settle the hot air intake discussion.

The main disadvantage to all of these is the fact that they are drawing in hot air from inside the engine compartment. Intake air temperature is very important whenever performance is a concern. It is a general rule of thumb that a engine will loose one horsepower for every additional ten degrees that the intake air temperature is increased.

Here's the whole article

ISUPAGE; Performance Intake System Basics

I rest my case.
And I thank you for proving my point. I completely agree, and could have TOLD YOU that for every 10* there is a 1horse drop. The discussion wasn't about power, but in fact economy. Which this article backed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
The argument was not over horsepower, but over gas mileage.
I'm not trying to re-institute the debate, just sayin'....
Yep, thats correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTank View Post
Your right! All the big turbo guys run a closed system... *stirs coals to stoke the fire*
Not true at all. I mean, maybe in PT-Land.. but I've had several turbo cars.. one of them ran 12's/hi 11's depending on the day/tune. The turbo produces so much underhood heat that putting in a cold air intake is worthless since the second the air touches the hot side of the compressor it's instantly like 500*. Plus, an open filter sounds way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsidders View Post
When my old company skunkworks modified cars for the Mobilgas Economy Run We found out that higher engine temperatures slightly increased the MPG but that was from lower friction/viscosity from the lubricants and a slightly warmer combustion chamber. The air was brought in from a outside pick up located in the grill area as to get the coolest,most dense air charge,,a rainy day helped even more..This was in the days before fuel injection and electronic ignition..There were no computer systems to adjust the timing and fuel mixture.The same principles still work today and even better results are expected..The higher engine temperatures also help with the emissions... No I don't want to work anymore,,I'm RETIRED

I think somebody got engine temp and intake temp confused in the earlier thread....
Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Actually, if you lose hp because of intake temps you also lose torque which means your car has to work a little harder and therefore use more gas. On a dyno I saw a PT GT lose 19 lbs/ft of torque with an open heat sucking intake.

Sorry CREWZIN, but that tips for better mpg just lost all credibility with me when they said a cold air intake will give you an easy 5-10 more mpg. If that was really the case then all manufacturers would be using them to dramtically raise mpg on their whole fleet. Funny though, how they all use a closed system to keep hot engine air out of the intake.
Well I mean.. I dont know how much more to put it other than I personally gained 4mpg city driving putting an open filter on.. and when I drove it hard and had fun with it (always gotta break in that new toy/part!), it got the same gas mileage as before I put the intake on. Facts are facts buddy. And manufacturers develop cars to be quiet and practical.. most people dont want noisy intakes or noisy turbos etc like we do.

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!

Last edited by 85_305; 29 Jul 2009 at 11:07 am.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lets all just keep this discussion nice guys.

MG, the reason the systems are closed has to do with noise more than anything else. That's why so many boxes that the air has to go threw to keep the noise down. If most cars had the open intake like most of us do, most owners would be yelling and screaming it's too loud.

They did figure out how to improve the cool air intake but they also have to keep the noise down so it's a best-of-both-worlds with the intake they have. Yes, I do have to agree that they stretched the added MPG with the assumtion of 5-10 mpg gain.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 07:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Next time i will post a disclaimer when i am being sarcastic..... Meangreen knows i like to ruffle his feathers
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)