Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Jerking at low speeds, speedometer jumps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2009, 06:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Jerking at low speeds, speedometer jumps

I have 2003 PT Cruiser with 45K miles on it. It started doing this about 6 months ago. Speedometer sometimes jumps all away or drops to 0 at speeds about 20mph and lower, car is jerking when this happens (I guess it is trying to shift accordingly to speedometer speed). It also sometimes has rough shifting to up to 40-50mph and sometimes gets stuck in one gear, and I have to turn off the ignition to reset it, I have read it may be a limp mode, when computer shift to 2nd gear to prevent further problems. Ignition switch test shows P700 code (TCM problem), but when it started to happen few months ago I took it to dealership and they replaced Transmission computer and speed sensors, and it did not solve the problem. They suggested the other source of the problem is the car battery which was working fine, but their tests showed that it needed to be replaced. It was replaced and it did not help. Now I just afraid of them after $1000 repairs nothing was fixed and the problem gets worse - more jerking more often. What can be a problem?

Btw is there anyway to get my money back from dealership when they pull this kind of crap - replacing working parts and not solving problem?
Old 29 Jul 2009, 06:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Jerking at low speeds, speedometer jumps

Have you had the transmission flushed? Take it to a place that has the machine and be sure they use ATF + 4 - and stay away from that dealer.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Jul 2009, 08:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Have you had the transmission flushed? Take it to a place that has the machine and be sure they use ATF + 4 - and stay away from that dealer.
Agreed. The tranny is a weak link. 45k is far too long to wait for a tranny flush, assuming it's never been done before.

Bought mine at 45k and that was one of the first things I did to the car, based on the assumption the prior owner never serviced it. Ran me $150 for the professional machine flush at my local tranny shop.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 12:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Agree with all of the above. If you wait any longer, the flush might hurt more than it helps.

If you put new tranny and speed sensors in and the shop says you need a new battery, it might be a faulty wire somewhere. Couldn't tell you where, but it's a possible lead. Hope that helps.

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer and another one!