Advertisements
Malfunction Indicator with P0401 code

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2009, 04:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Malfunction Indicator with P0401 code

Hi everyone,

I was driving this afternoon, and the engine light came on. Just a solid light with no flashing at all. When I did the error retrieval, it came up with the P1684 (which I did have a new battery put in, but it was over 50 starts ago), and the P0401 code (which is an EGR issue).

Would it be safe to assume that I need a new EGR Sensor with this code, or am I going to have to dig into the system further to track it down? The car drives fine, as far as I can tell.

One other annoyance that I've had since purchasing the car is a knocking sound in the engine. I've had oil changes and other tune-ups, and no one has mentioned it at all. To my knowledge, it doesn't affect the performance of the car at all, but is just an annoyance.

Thanks for any information, and have a great day
Patrick.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 04:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Malfunction Indicator with P0401 code

What year??? How many miles???

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 30 Jul 2009, 04:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

2002 with about 56,200 miles on it. It's a 2002 Limted/Dream Edition with 56,200 or so on it. I bought it when it had 41,000 on it.

Have a great day
Patrick.

Last edited by Patrick_Dickey; 30 Jul 2009 at 04:34 pm. Reason: Verified the year/model..
Old 30 Jul 2009, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Dickey View Post
2002 with about 56,200 miles on it. It's a 2002 Limted/Dream Edition with 56,200 or so on it. I bought it when it had 41,000 on it.

Have a great day
Patrick.
I just looked in the Error Codes for this forum and here's P1684:

Quote:
P1684 Driver 5 Line 4
I'm not sure what that means, since I've seen in other posts that it means the battery was disconnected within the last 50 starts.... Would I have to go to a dealership or an auto parts store (AutoZone, for example) to get the actual meaning of "Driver 5 Line 4"?

Have a great day
Patrick.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 04:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a couple of different Error code lists, not sure why.

Disregard the P1684, just plain don't worry about it.

As far as your other code, here's what PT Do-It-Yourself.net has to say:
--------------------------------------
P0401 (M) EGR System Failure - Required change in air/fuel ration not detected during diagnostic test.

The P0401 is a very common code for the EGR. More than a few have been replaced under warranty on the PT. A new valve should cure the codes. Make sure you follow replacement instructions precisely.
Once it's replaced, the code won't clear itself using the battery disconnect technique. Have the dealer clear it using their DRB scan tool during your next visit.
-------------------------------------

Try the dealer first and see if the EGR still falls under the emissions warranty.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
There's a couple of different Error code lists, not sure why.

Disregard the P1684, just plain don't worry about it.

As far as your other code, here's what PT Do-It-Yourself.net has to say:
--------------------------------------
P0401 (M) EGR System Failure - Required change in air/fuel ration not detected during diagnostic test.

The P0401 is a very common code for the EGR. More than a few have been replaced under warranty on the PT. A new valve should cure the codes. Make sure you follow replacement instructions precisely.
Once it's replaced, the code won't clear itself using the battery disconnect technique. Have the dealer clear it using their DRB scan tool during your next visit.
-------------------------------------

Try the dealer first and see if the EGR still falls under the emissions warranty.
I don't have the warranty anymore. IIRC, it's a 3/36k warranty that the original owner had. But, I'm assuming that the valve isn't something that requires major work to replace.

If I do this myself, can I have an auto store like AutoZone or Advanced clear the code? I ask, because we don't have a Chrysler Dealership in my hometown, and I don't go to the Ford Dealer (where I purchased the car) unless I have no other choice.

Thanks again for the quick reply. That's what I love about this forum. I can always get a quick answer to even my stupidest questions.

Have a great day
Patrick.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 05:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The warranty that the statement and I talked about is the Federal Emissions Warranty and it goes far beyond your 3/36 sometimes up to 80,000 miles.

This is from the Federal site for 1995 and newer cars and trucks: Specified major emission control components
are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles.

I'm not sure if the EGR falls under that but it doesn't hurt to ask the dealer you bought it from.

I know places like Auto Zone will read the error codes but I don't think they will clear them for you. You need a scanner and either a dealer or quite a few private shops have them

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 10:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
The warranty that the statement and I talked about is the Federal Emissions Warranty and it goes far beyond your 3/36 sometimes up to 80,000 miles.

This is from the Federal site for 1995 and newer cars and trucks: Specified major emission control components
are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles.

I'm not sure if the EGR falls under that but it doesn't hurt to ask the dealer you bought it from.

I know places like Auto Zone will read the error codes but I don't think they will clear them for you. You need a scanner and either a dealer or quite a few private shops have them
Here's a slightly stupid question. I'm 320 miles from home and was planning on leaving today to return home. Is this something that I need to get fixed before I leave, or is it something that can wait for another 320 miles?

I understand that a lot of things are issues that need to be taken care of immediately (especially when the lights are coming on), but is this one of those things?

Either way, I'll call the dealer here in town, and see whether it falls under the emmissions warranty. I wasn't sure about the Federal one-- only knowing about the warranty that came with the car. I believe it was a 48,000 warranty, as I started getting those solicitation letters about it at 42,000 miles.

Thanks for the help, and have a great weekend
Patrick.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully one of the mechanics on the forum will see this and let you know if it could bring your PT to a halt if the EGR fails completely. I wouldn't think so but that's just my guess.

Old 31 Jul 2009, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Hopefully one of the mechanics on the forum will see this and let you know if it could bring your PT to a halt if the EGR fails completely. I wouldn't think so but that's just my guess.
Well, I made it home. I called the Chrysler dealer where I was at, and asked about it. The mechanic said "It will idle rough, and you'll probably lose some gas mileage, but you should get home alright." And told me that it would cost me $300.00 to have them repair it (with the diagnostic testing and repair).

I loaded the car up with 91 octane gas, and a bottle of "Outlaw Fuel Injector cleaner" and went on my way. Drove 320 miles, and the gas tank hasn't hit the mark where the fuel light comes on. So, it's the best gas mileage I've ever gotten... LOL

I haven't noticed any rough idle, although I did notice the RPM needle hopping a bit while I had the cruise control on, so I stopped using the Cruise and had no more issues.

Have a great weekend I'm going to find a mechanic that can repair it cheaper than the dealer (or do it myself, if it's not that difficult).

Patrick.
Dawn66 likes this.