Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Turbo Rough Idle Suddenly MPG Terrible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2009, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2005 Turbo Rough Idle Suddenly MPG Terrible

Okay, I'm taking it to the garage tomorrow morning, but where to point the garage guys.

Got a new battery within the last few months, & new Michelin tires in the last month, but I think there's a bit of hesitation when I start the car in the garage in the AM. Then there's no pep on the road. The 'get up and go, has got up and went'. The gas per mile, which was never great, is terrible. I've never gone through so much gas. Finally, every so often, as I accelerate, I hear the transmission go 'clunk'.

54,500 on the odometer, and I'm not due for my synthetic oil change for another 2,000 miles, and I always get the air filter and oil filter changed each time. I tried to get any codes, but I tried the key acc etc. to get the codes, but nothing ever appeared after doing it 5 times other than the letters for the transmission.

I know you guys always start with the wires and the plugs, but will that affect the MPG? Also, which wire and plugs are best for the 2005 Turbo Convertible? Thanks for the help.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Turbo Rough Idle Suddenly MPG Terrible

Yes, wires and plugs will affect your MPG and your get-up-&-go. Also you could have a problem with the 02 (oxygen) sensors. If they aren't working properly your gas mileage will suffer greatly.

At 54K have you ever had the transaxle (transmission) flushed? It needs to be done, the transaxle is a weak link and needs servicing just like the engine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yes, wires and plugs will affect your MPG and your get-up-&-go. Also you could have a problem with the 02 (oxygen) sensors. If they aren't working properly your gas mileage will suffer greatly.

At 54K have you ever had the transaxle (transmission) flushed? It needs to be done, the transaxle is a weak link and needs servicing just like the engine.
Thanks, I didn't realize that the tansaxle fluid was that important. I'll put that on the list.

Do you have a recommendation about which wires and plugs? I'm wondering if I can purchase them locally or if I have to order them online.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For the non-turbo engine we recommend the Champion Double Platinum #7570 plugs and any decent brand name wires. Auto stores like Pep Boys, Auto Zone or Discount Auto should carry what you need.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 07:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
For the non-turbo engine we recommend the Champion Double Platinum #7570 plugs and any decent brand name wires. Auto stores like Pep Boys, Auto Zone or Discount Auto should carry what you need.
Ixnay - it's a turbo. No platinum plugs in a turbo.
The stock Champion plugs are fine - gap at 0.040.
Wires - get a name brand or these:
Mopar Performance Ignition Wires 01-Up: Race and Street
Also, if you REALLY have no pep, have mechanic check the intake hoses - and to/from the intercooler - that none worked loose - that would do it....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Aug 2009, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Ixnay - it's a turbo. No platinum plugs in a turbo.
The stock Champion plugs are fine - gap at 0.040.
Wires - get a name brand or these:
Mopar Performance Ignition Wires 01-Up: Race and Street
Also, if you REALLY have no pep, have mechanic check the intake hoses - and to/from the intercooler - that none worked loose - that would do it....

Actually for my turbo it turns out the gap for plugs, as noted on the label inside my hood is 0.050. Also Autolite, who offers Extreme Performance plugs, specifically designed for the turbo, #XP 5263, actually ARE platinum plugs because these plugs support a higher temp, I'm told.
Old 04 Aug 2009, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimisMom View Post
Actually for my turbo it turns out the gap for plugs, as noted on the label inside my hood is 0.050. Also Autolite, who offers Extreme Performance plugs, specifically designed for the turbo, #XP 5263, actually ARE platinum plugs because these plugs support a higher temp, I'm told.
Good luck. We're here when you need us later.