PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

"leak detected in the evaporative purge system", don't think it was gas cap..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2009, 07:15 am
Young Cruiser

Default "leak detected in the evaporative purge system", don't think it was gas cap..

I have these two codes:

A0 P0442 EVAP SYSTEM SMALL
LEAK
Small leak detected in the evaporative purge system

A1 P0455 EVAP SYSTEM GROSS
LEAK
Large (gross) leak detected in the evaporative purge system.

The original gas cap didn't tighten correctly, so I replaced it and assumed that would be it. However, after a full tank and several days of driving, the light has not gone out.

From another site, I came across this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by obd-codes.com
With a p0455, the most common repair is to:

* Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
The auto parts store wouldn't clear the codes but say they should go away if there is no leak. According to the quote from the other site, however, you need to manually clear the codes. Problem is, they won't do it..

Anyone know which is correct? Do they self reset or have to be manually cleared?

I spotted a thread about rubbing fuel line, sure enough, mine has been rubbing and worn away the outer sheath, but only that - the line itself is not worn at all. There is no gas smell under the hood, with the car running or not. I changed the air filter when I got it, could it be as simple as the breather tube?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
..a
Old 03 Aug 2009, 09:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: "leak detected in the evaporative purge system", don't think it was gas cap..

Remove the negative battery cable and go have a cup of coffee or what ever, but keep it off for about 10 - 15 minutes. That should reset your codes. Good luck!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Aug 2009, 12:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: "leak detected in the evaporative purge system", don't think it was gas cap..

This is from Bobdole369 in another evap thread.

"My P0441 ended up being that the washer fluid nozzle leaked fluid on the wiring harness and shorted a wire. Just that one though, frickin weird."

If you keep throwing those codes, check the circuitry. Doesn't happen a lot, but stranger things have happened.

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer and another one!

Old 03 Aug 2009, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The code you have won't clear by disconnecting the battery cable (forget where I read that). The sensor has to see the leak go away for a number of tries. It took two days for my wife's KIA to clear the code by itself. That is, if the code is caused by the gas cap. Check all the other hoses around the engine bay and motor. If you have a EGR tube in the back of the manifold, check that for tightness.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 03 Aug 2009, 03:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The code you have won't clear by disconnecting the battery cable (forget where I read that). The sensor has to see the leak go away for a number of tries. It took two days for my wife's KIA to clear the code by itself. That is, if the code is caused by the gas cap. Check all the other hoses around the engine bay and motor. If you have a EGR tube in the back of the manifold, check that for tightness.
Pulling the battery for a while cleared it. Put a few miles on it today running errands, several stops, has not come back. Will report back if it does..
..a