PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problems with new style tensioner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2009, 10:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problems with new style tensioner

Hi Guys....

My first PT Cruiser (2001) and I've dived into a timing belt replacement. I purchased all the parts for the new style timing belt tensioner and have done ok getting things off. But as I'm to the point of getting the timing belt installed....I just cannot get the new tensioner held in a position where it's not putting tension on the belt...resulting in the fact that I cannot get the belt in place.

Here's a question or two...

1) The tensioner came from the dealer already mounted on the little mounting arm. Is there any adjustment that I need to do? Or can I just go ahead an bolt the assembly to the block (which is what I did). The installation instructions say I need to install the belt and then make sure the end of the spring is visible within the noched-out marks to assure proper pressure on the belt.

2) Is there a way to lock the tensioner into the relaxed position so that I can get the belt into place?....and then release the tensioner to tighten against the belt?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05 Aug 2009, 09:21 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Problems with new style tensioner

Make sure it's installed properly. I spent 2 hours trying to fit the belt on only to realize it was on backwards

Just reread the post, there shouldn't be any adjustments to the pulley, just bolt on. I'm not sure about the tension relaxer.

However, there's a bolt that you get to from the top that you should have loosened to get the belts off. You could try loosening that a little bit more.

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer and another one!

Last edited by geronimo; 05 Aug 2009 at 09:25 am.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 10:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Does your tensioner look like this?

Or this (the one on the right)?
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes...the tensioner is the one in the top picture. I think I know the problem....

I pulled the tensioner out of the package and just bolted it onto the block (via the bolt hole at the one end of the arm). I did not loosen the bolt that holds the tensioner to the arm. By loosing the center bolt...that will allow the tensioner to move back and give me the room to allow the belt to be installed.

I'm not clear on how to assure that I have the proper tension on it before tightening the center bolt. I think I use a 1/4 rachet and rotate the plate counter clockwise until the spring is visible in the alignment marks on the plate...and then tighten the center bolt. Is that correct?

Like I said...my mistake was thinking that this tensioner was essentially spring loaded and the center bolt should not be loosened as part of the install.

Thanks!
Old 05 Aug 2009, 12:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm not familiar with that tensioner but your logic seems right. Is there instructions included with how to insure proper tension?
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm following the instructions in the "2003 PT Cruiser Service Manual"...but it's still not 100% clear.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 07:44 pm
Young Cruiser

torque specifications are 200 in-lbs for the tensioner pulley bolt, 45 ft-lbs for the tensioner bolt on 01&02's, and 220 in-lbs for 03 models. Be careful with the conversions, I broke a ton of screws using ft-lbs when it was suppose to be in in-lbs.

Old 06 Aug 2009, 09:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well...I finally got the timing belt on. But I had to take the bolt out of the tensioner and remove it....then I put the timing belt into place....and then pushed the tensioner against the belt by hand and fumbled around until I could thread the center bolt on the tensioner. There was just no way I could slip that timing belt into place with the tensioner pulley installed first.

I've changed timing belts on various model front-wheel drive cars but this PT Cruiser job was by far the most difficult because of the clearance issues.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 09:12 am
Young Cruiser

Yeah, it's a b*&#! Suppose that's why they're rated for 100k, shouldn't have to do it again for a long long time. Congrats

Old 06 Aug 2009, 10:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Good to hear you got it on. I struggled with mine too. I had to remove and replace it 3 times because the cam gears moved putting it on. It didn't look like it when the belt was on but after rotating the engine a couple times, the marks didn't line up.

You replaced your water pump while you were in there too didn't you?
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto