PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C blowing warm then cold idling & overcharged!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2009, 07:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question A/C blowing warm then cold idling & overcharged!!!

Okay,

I have a '06 PT base - auto. 33K - I recently added a short hot air intake and noticed that the a/c compressor clicks off and on every 12seconds when idling and will blow warm air then cool air. I tested the a/c and its reading overcharged, around 70lbs. Do I need to release some of freon/pressure and get her down to 45lbs? Idle rpms fluctuate around 300-400rpms when compressor kicks on/off. Outside temp 80* & 30% humidity I am the second owner and she is out of warranty. Plugs and wires are two months old.

66CUDA

Last edited by 66CUDA; 06 Aug 2009 at 08:05 pm.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 08:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: A/C blowing warm then cold idling & overcharged!!!

Your cooling fan is not working. That's why the pressure is high. Replace the fan.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 10:55 pm
Young Cruiser

I am not exactly sure on warrenty but isnt it 3 years or 36 thousand miles? If this is true it might be possible to get warr.Worth a try.
Old 07 Aug 2009, 08:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Are you saying the radiator cooling fan?? Why isn't engine temp. high or overheating if the cooling fan is not functioning? I drove her today and after a 10 minute drive I can idle her w/o any a/c problems...it seems to occur only upon issue startup from sitting a couple of hours.

66CUDA
Old 08 Aug 2009, 11:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Okay, I warmed her up and drove her for about 5 minutes and tested the charge @ approx. 45lbs and as she idled it went to around 90lbs then the cooling fan kicked on and dropped the charge to around 50lbs. Then when the fan shut off the charge slowly climbed again and the fan kicked on and dropped it down to 45-50 lbs...Seems like the cooling fan is doing its job. My gauge considers 45lbs a full charge. It appears thing s are fine but I'm not familiar with Chrysler A/C systems to know if this is normal operation. Other X brands I've owned held a constant charge w/o the cooling fan turning on. Any ideas guys or am I okay?

66CUDA
Old 08 Aug 2009, 03:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Mine was doing that also and it needed a low press switch that goes on the accumulator.It would blow warm and then cold and would keep doing it and when i put on the new switch earlier today it would blow nice and cold again and stay cold.Good luck.
Old 08 Aug 2009, 04:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The cooling fan should not kick on and off with the air conditioner on. If the air conditioner is on, the cooling fan should always be on. If the cooling goes on and off with the a/c on, you most likely have a bad cooling fan. IIRC, low speed goes on and off with the engine temp, and high speed is always on if the a/c is on.

2003 Hemi Ram - TMR, Flows, Killed the Cat with mechanical O2 sim, K & N, no hat, Taylor Shorty Wires, Tow Pkg

Old 08 Aug 2009, 08:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03hothemi View Post
The cooling fan should not kick on and off with the air conditioner on. If the air conditioner is on, the cooling fan should always be on. If the cooling goes on and off with the a/c on, you most likely have a bad cooling fan. IIRC, low speed goes on and off with the engine temp, and high speed is always on if the a/c is on.
What's not making sense is that the fan turns on when the pressure gets high and turns off when it lowers it to the correct pressure. To me it seems it could be the switch malfunctioning and not turning the fan on earlier because the switch is telling it to turn off. From my experience when a fan goes bad it either just stops or spins erractically and stops and does not perform the function of cooling down. My fan is cooling down the pressure but it isn't being told to react quicker. Since the switch is easiest I'll do that first and keep ya guys posted....

66CUDA
Old 08 Aug 2009, 09:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CUDA View Post
What's not making sense is that the fan turns on when the pressure gets high and turns off when it lowers it to the correct pressure. To me it seems it could be the switch malfunctioning and not turning the fan on earlier because the switch is telling it to turn off. From my experience when a fan goes bad it either just stops or spins erractically and stops and does not perform the function of cooling down. My fan is cooling down the pressure but it isn't being told to react quicker. Since the switch is easiest I'll do that first and keep ya guys posted....

66CUDA
Pt fans have a 2 speed operation. Low speed works off of engine temp unless it gets too high then high speed kicks in. The high speed runs solid as long the a/c is on.
Old 08 Aug 2009, 11:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Okay, so the "high pitched" fan I hear running sometimes is the high speed fan, correct? And where is the low pressure switch located and why do the local parts store only show a high press. switch available and no low press. switch? I also wonder if my PCM needs to be reflashed...the dealer flasher as per a TSB when I had a CEL lit a few weeks ago. Also I'm going to replace the cooling fan relay too...its cheap enough.

66CUDA

Last edited by 66CUDA; 09 Aug 2009 at 12:06 am.