Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car died, wont start! HELP PLEASE!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2009, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car died, wont start! HELP PLEASE!!!

Ok so driving car down the road and it spits sputter and dies....RPMs go crazy at the same time. Oil light, check engine light come on. Chack with scanner and come up with Camshaft position sensor, ignition control, engine speed sensor, and tranny mang. I cleared the codes and checked the Timing belt thinking that went. No go looks good. I have 60 psi @ fuel and i have spark. When i got it home and let it sit for a week it fired right off and than dies....started up again and does same thing..get progressivly worse(not running as long) Now i can crank and crank but will not even pop. Camshaft position sensor code is the only one i am getting. Replaced that part and it still will not start. Anybody have any ideas?!?! Any help is great!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!
Old 06 Aug 2009, 08:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Car died, wont start! HELP PLEASE!!!

Welcome to the forum.

What's the history of the car? year, gt or n/a? mileage? That sort of thing.

My first instinct, (without being there) would be a PCM problem because of all of the sensor codes thrown or a tranmission problem. Was the car kicking at all when you were accelerate or letting off the gas?

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer and another one!

Old 06 Aug 2009, 09:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The timing belt may have jumped a tooth or 2...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Aug 2009, 10:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
The timing belt may have jumped a tooth or 2...
That was my thinking too.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 07 Aug 2009, 07:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Car is a 01 with 150k on it. non-turbo. Tranny took a dump 2 months ago and put a used one in with 110k on it. The belt looked good...i turned it all over by hand and all the teeth looked fine. It did run after i first looked at belt....it would start and run untill i took my foot off the brake than it would die. my thinking was safty neutral switch. now it wont evan fire when it cranks. I thought about PCM as well but hopeing its not!!!!!

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Aug 2009 at 07:53 am.
Old 07 Aug 2009, 07:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Trace the wiring from the CKP all the way round the back of the engine. There's a few of us that had the wiring burnt and wires separate so no signals would get through to the computer.

Other thoughts would be to use a scanner to help pinpoint what's wrong. A lot better than just guessing at the problem.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Aug 2009 at 08:00 am.
Old 08 Aug 2009, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok replaced camshaft position sensor,plugs,and coil pack. Runs till i give it some gas(put a load on it) and than it spits and sputters and wants to die. If i leave it in park i can rev it up and its fine. Do i try to replace the crankshaft postion sensor also? ecm? still comeing up with code 1391
Old 09 Aug 2009, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You can just keep throwing parts at it. A scanner could have narrowed it down for you. You did check the wiring from the Camshaft sensor, right? The Crankshaft sensor is located behind the engine above the oil filter. Check those wires also.

As a forewarning, some owners have replaced the camshaft sensor with an after market part form Auto Zone or other store and still had the original problem. Replacing the sensor from the dealer (yes it does cost more) solved the problem.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 03:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok...still throwing money at this problem!! Using a scan tool i am getting code 1391 which is telling me: Manufacture controlled ignition system. So when i look that up online its saying that its not reading the ckp (crankshaft) or the camshaft... correct? So i have replaced the crankshaft sensor, the camshaft sensor twice (aftermarket not dealer) plugs (gapped at .040) and coil. All wires look good(non burt/pinched) The car crank and cranks and will start. runs for a couple of mins and than stutters and dies @ idel. In park if i reve it up it stutters before it does rev up. If no one else has any ideas i'm taking it to the shop this week!!!!