PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My PT stutters!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2009, 12:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My PT stutters!

Hi everyone,

I just my pt about two months ago and really enjoy it. However, it tends to stutter and hesitate when I'm about to take off or when I'm at traffic lights. It's even worse when I turn on the A/C. I've read quite a bit on the forums and have learned alot but I'm still not sure about this issue. Is it the air filters, wires? I have no idea. Also, I wanted to try tuning it up but I haven't done a tune up before so I'm kind of worried. Can I do this on my own. Any help would be appreciated.

PT Cruiser 2001
72000 miles
Old 09 Aug 2009, 01:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: My PT stutters!

Get yourself a new air filter. It's up to you whether or not you want to use a paper filter or reusable drop in (K&N). Get some spark plugs (Champions, Bosch Platinums, NGK Iridiums, whatever flavour you like) and some good aftermarket plug wires (SRT-4 Neon wires are the same). There's a how-to here on how to do the plugs and wires. It should take you roughly an hour and a half the first time. It's more time consuming than it is difficult.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 09 Aug 2009, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My PT stutters!

Welcome.
Agree with Mopar_Man. And gap plugs at 0.040.
Here's the guide:
Spark Plug Guide

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles