PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Special Edition PT - Common Problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2009, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Special Edition PT - Common Problems?

Hello!

I have an '01 automatic with just 78K miles. I haven't decided yet, but I'm thinking about trading it in soon.

I've had good luck with it, as it has not needed any repairs outside of normal maintenance. If I decide to keep the PT, are there any known defects / common repairs that are known to show up in the "higher mileage range" with this model year?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
Old 11 Aug 2009, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Special Edition PT - Common Problems?

If you haven't already, have the auto flushed (needs a special machine) - costs about $200.
At about 100,000 miles, will need timing belt changed - $750 - $1200. (Dealer is high end)
Other things - Multifunction switch, Cam position sensor, etc - are random & fairly cheap.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Nov 2009, 09:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just had mine flushed at 100K, $169 at the dealer (ATF+4). See if you can get your PT up on a rack and inspect the front wheel bearings, tie rod ends and struts. Look for any leaks that just might be starting. If you have fog lights, keep an eye on the multi-function stalk like QSD just pointed out. If you keep up with regular and preventative maintenance the PT should last you a long time.

By the way, what kind of "special edition" 2001 PT do you have. I didn't know they made any.
Old 02 Nov 2009, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2001 Special Edition PT - Common Problems?

I want to hello and that I have an 01 with 136,000 ml now and have had no problems just regular maintenance.. 75,000 ml fog lights went out or just stopped working. Replaced right front wheel bearing 123,000 ml. 2 transmission screen and oil service, one at 60,000 ml other at 96,000 was told at the 60,000 I should have had first at 33,000 and now having another this following weekend scheduled at local Chrysler dealer.... On the 3rd set of front brakes.
About the trimming belt when should I replace it?.. First tune up 96,000 ml , changed oil every 7,500 I have only used Mobile One synthetic 5w-30w till last weekend because was told this new Castor Oil synthetic is better 5w-30w. Always used Fram extended life oil filter.....
Stuff I forgot left headlight bulb high beam changed, headlights lenses blistered from running lights not replaced cost too much and finally I have too replace dash lights and by the way can I purchase a shop manual ?
Old 03 Nov 2009, 06:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, tbtk1.
Your timing belt should've been changed at 100,000 miles - you are past due.

For a manual, you can down load one:
FREE Owners Manual Download

Yours an auto or manual? If it's an auto, have you had the trans fluid flushed?
You should.

Hope your good luck continues...

Hey, if I added the mileage on both my PTs, I'd have you beat - about 170,000 between the two...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jan 2012, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Greetings! My girlfriend is out of a car and we have a friend that has a PTC for sale.
It's a 2001 loaded with mulitple options like leather, sunroof, chrome wheels which 2 are missing the center caps, I mean its really clean. This is what we know:

The car has 57K on it but the motor was replaced at 27K for some reason by Chrysler so this motor has 30K on it. The owner is wheelchair bound and the car has been garaged for some time. We drove it the other day and we still have it and it rides nice. Under hood the only thing I saw not right was that the CAI or airbox was loose and floppy. If bought I'd replace it with a InJen or K&N but it is like this now. Everything works and it all seems to be good. We plan to have a mechanic check it for peace of mind but wanted to know if anyone knew of anything we might be concerned with? Also where two chrome center caps could be located? We both really like the car and for $4K (asking price) we're going to try to shoot for $3500, it be a good car for her who is without and doesn't want to drive my '10 Camaro around since its like a show car.

Appreciate the help on this as we hope to make a decision within the next 48hrs.

Peace!
Old 10 Jan 2012, 11:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just read the posts above yours and you'll see the things to look for. At 30K you shouldn't need much or anything if the was maintenance was kept up.

If the air filter is just loose, find out why, it might just need tightening down. If you want to spend money for a new air filter that's fine but following the thread called "air box modification" on the forum will give you the same improvement for just the price of a flat K&N and a little DIY.

Center caps you might try eBay.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 11:17 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Welcome...and for that kind of money and mileage is a real good find...btw, don't waste your money on the intake and do an airbox mod...it works better and a lot cheaper
Old 10 Jan 2012, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hello Hello Hello Hello I think there's echo in here.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 11:31 am
Dedicated Cruiser

LOL, I guess we were typing at the same time..