Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
buying outside of Ca and emmission requirements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2009, 05:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default buying outside of Ca and emmission requirements

I have found a new 08 PT Cruiser I would like to buy outside the state of California. If it is not rated for Ca emmision standards, is there anything I can do, add, change...to make it comply and be acceptable to Ca? People must move here all the time with cars that do not have the 50 state emmision rating. Does anyone have experience with this?

thanks for any help you can provide,
paula
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Angry Re: buying outside of Ca and emmission requirements

Don't even try. The 49 state vs CA differences are internal and can't be changed by bolting something on.Further, California won't even let you register it in the state if it's new. There used to be an exception for CA residents that totalled out their car while out of state. Dunno if it still exists.

People that move to CA do so with older cars, and I've been told that they have to pay an "impact fee" which used to be $400 or $600 to register their 49 state car.

Dealers in states that border California usually have a number of CA cars in stock
Old 27 Aug 2009, 12:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: buying outside of Ca and emmission requirements

Thanks for your reply. I have learned a lot in the past couple of weeks. There are now 4 states that have Ca compiant cars--New Jersey, New Hampshire, Maine and Mass. (They would be the ones furthest away) But it is still very difficult to make arrangements by phone! Hoping to find a used one closer to home--but my daughter is pretty specific in what she wants in her PT Cruiser! anyway thanks again

paula