PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
oil consumption 2001 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2009, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default oil consumption 2001 PT Cruiser

Hi all:
I have a 2001 PT cruiser (70K miles) that has an excessive oil consumption problem, about 1 quart per 1000 miles.
I have thoroughly checked that there's no oil leak. So it's definitely being consumed by the engine in one way or another.
Now, I am quite baffled because there's no blueish smoke coming out the tail pipe (ever) and car runs great.
Any ideas out there ?
Old 16 Aug 2009, 06:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: oil consumption 2001 PT Cruiser

When was the last time the PCV valve was changed? That's probably part of the problem but I can't see it being bad enough to use a quart every 1000 miles. That's BAD. Even my wife's '94 Crown Vic with 170k+ miles on it that leaks and has practically no valve seals left burns less than that.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I remember reading a long time ago that there's a baffle under the valve cover that was put on backwards on some '01 PTs....
That would mean it always used a lot of oil - did it?
Not much help, I know...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 16 Aug 2009 at 06:45 pm.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 06:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

People have been complaining about oil consumption since the PT came out. My '01 did the same thing and it never leaked. Her '04 is just about the same. Doesn't do any good to compare it to other cars because there is no comparison. PTs just like to consume oil. If you are still concerned then go to a shop and have them put the dye in. They can then check for leaks with a black light. That's how I found the valve cover gasket leaking on the '04. No leaks now and it consumes a quart of oil every 1k-3k.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic

Last edited by Mean Green; 16 Aug 2009 at 06:47 pm.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 07:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One quart per 1000 miles and no smoke almost has to be a leak. I know you say it's not but is that because there's no oil on the ground or did you or someone do a really good search?

A search gives loads of owners complaints about loosing oil and most come back to some sort of leak. I go 5,000 between changes now with long life Mobil 1 and it's never missing a drop between changes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 08:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
One quart per 1000 miles and no smoke almost has to be a leak. I know you say it's not but is that because there's no oil on the ground or did you or someone do a really good search?

A search gives loads of owners complaints about loosing oil and most come back to some sort of leak. I go 5,000 between changes now with long life Mobil 1 and it's never missing a drop between changes.

The dye procedure is the only way to really find leak(s).

Even my '05 SRT-4 consumes some oil between changes (6K miles) and the car only just reached 39k. Not missing even a drop of oil between changes is hard to believe. All cars consume some oil.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 16 Aug 2009, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Not missing even a drop of oil between changes is hard to believe. All cars consume some oil.
Sorry MG. Not enough drops missing to even register on the dip stick. I check the oil, trans fluid and air pressure at least once a month on all my cars. Even the spare tires get checked every 6 months.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 08:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the feedback

to check for oil leaks:
i let the car idle for 15 mns (mixing in some prolonged 2,500 rpm runs) .. then let it sit for another 15 mns.
all under cardboard and there was no sign of oil. I'd think that a leak of that magnitude would be showing on the ground.

i'm gonna check the pcv system which if plugged could cause internal oil leakage, but after that, don't know what to do. live with it i guess.

i've also heard about the valve cover issue but was told a newer design fixed the problem. not sure about this since i read it on the internet

thanks all for replying.