Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error code P0340 ADVICE???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2009, 09:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Error code P0340 ADVICE???

OK Ive posted & read confusing info on this code-my check engine lite came on last week. I thru site got dash to show the code P0340-(cam sensor circuit.....( I disconnecte NEG battery-retaped wire to cam sensor-(also changed gas cap-PT is 03 with 72K)lite went out for 200 miles but came back on...... changing sensor seems simple but will that fix it? Or does it need tobe flashed?? HELP thanks MJB
Old 17 Aug 2009, 04:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error code P0340 ADVICE???

The camshaft sensor is easy and the computer doesn't need to be flashed. Before changing it, check all the wiring as best you cn from sensor all the way round to the back of the engine. A couple of us (including me) have had the wiring harness burnt or torn that caused the same error.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 02:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Crewzin again thankyou- I did check wire last time & gain rechecked it,,, it does have a hard plastic protector over it--- I retapped it near sensor--- the lite came on again- I reset computer by disconnecting NEG terminal-its out-- what Im trying to determine does this code say bad wire? Or bad sensor? I can get asensor for $50.00+ at dealer-would you just change it? I dont want to just waste monet though & not fix issue? That is the advice I need,thanks MJB
Old 17 Aug 2009, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Would I get it? .......After my P0340 left me stranded in the middle of highway 95 at 11pm in South Carolina, YES, but that doesn't mean you should. Your call.

You already did, but make sure you stick with the sensor from Chrysler. Others have failed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 04:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK CREWZIN: Im getting sensor from dealer tommorrow-installing it WED- they said (dealer)I need gasket also?-any special sealant for gasket or preparation-again many thanks ( I quess a cheap $50.00 safty net) MJB
Old 17 Aug 2009, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Neither the Chilton nor Haynes manual mention a gasket on the camshaft sensor for the 01-03 PT's. If yours is newer they might have added a gasket in the later years. If your kit comes with a new "target magnet" it says to make sure the dowels in the magnet are lined up with locating holes at the end of the camshaft and to tighten the sensor down to a torque of 115 in-lbs. The magnet comes off with a screw n the middle and that magnet retaining screw needs a torque of 32 in-lbs.

Old 19 Aug 2009, 07:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Crewzin thanks for advice: I scheduled for service at local dealer-(my origional purchase dealer closed last year) anyway I called Chrysler before going to see if there was a flash or recall- they took all info and gave me a ref#( the actually were very nice) I mentioned this at the dealer-bottem line dealer replaced boththe cam & crank sensors(the tech stated that they be replaced with code P0340 in pairs-he also checked my PCM for all updates( I paid just labor) which was less than $100.00** I HAD A $50.00 coupon introducing me to this dealer-(Chrysler warranted parts) YIPPEE MJB
Old 19 Aug 2009, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not bad. Looks like you found a good dealer. Still, replacing both sensors is just covering there tails and throwing more parts at it than needed. Easy way out, replace everything. Glad it's running OK.

Old 20 Aug 2009, 08:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Seems to be running smoother..is that possible? thanks MJB
Old 20 Aug 2009, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
Seems to be running smoother..is that possible? thanks MJB
Sure. If the sensor was about to fail it would have sent erratic signals to the computer, and you were getting code so something was wrong.