Advertisements
01 overheating & a/c not very cold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 overheating & a/c not very cold

That's the problem this time.
A little background;
3 months ago, we changed the timming belt,tennsioner, water pump, & thermastat due to the mileage.100k.tough job too!!!! (y'all were a big help)
Everything was fine. Last week we changed the oil & trans fluid.John (hubby) also checked coolant level. There was none in the coolant box. I bought some Peak coolant, added it, drove it a week and alls good. Went on a 150mi trip,all good, stayed 4- 6 hrs. Return trip,engine light came on. Stopped, checked fluids and gave it a looksy, all looked good.

A few days later, battery wouldn't start car. I put the bat charger on it, started it, drove to AZ, bought battery, the clerk(he seemed to b knowledeable) insisted on putting it in for me( cause I'm a girl) LOL, thenhe noticed a cracked
Battery end, put a new one on.engine of was not on that morn and has not been on since. Sold me some Lucas injector cleaner and added it, I only had 1/4 tnk gas,
but I was going across the st to fill up. I did, as soon as I got over there, it red lined !! Never O/H before. Sooo, I let it cool down,took it home.

I noticed on the drive home it would cool dn while driving & heat up while stopped, So I first put a jumper wire on the fan, it came on. Coolant was fine.changed the hi and lo speed relay and other relay (rad relay ) can't remember the name , fan still don't come on. I noticed when I run the ac, it would blow warm intermittedly, the engine shutters and shimmys and makes a weird low hum sound when I turn ac on. Ac is blowing warm today. I changed the cap this morning. I bougt an ETC sensor, but they sold me the wrong one, taking it back in a few min.

Is there any advice / suggestions out there? I can figure my way around an engine, have a Hayes manual, but Im not too good with elec and ac and heating problems. I appreciAte any help. thanks
Ps, my truck was wrecked this summer by a texting teen & tottaled, so I NEED this car for morning school comute! Thanks so much to anyone with advice!

Candace
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 01 overheating & a/c not very cold

Also checks fuse inside the cars inside panel, it's ok too engine of went and not come back on . Another thing, when I turn the ignotion key, the cluster panel icons lite up, but not the temp icon. It did come on the first time it o/h but haven't noticed it since yet. Also, radiator is warm to the touch, I read somewhere here'd to check if it was cool when running.its not.

Ok, I think that explains most of it.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

That's supposed to read , engine lite went off and has not come back on since...
Typing on an iPhone , sorry bout the typos.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Its possible the radiator is clogged. Once the car cools down try opening the drain plug slowly on the bottom of radiator. If you open it and fluid comes out its ok if not its clogged.

Also if it just started doing this after the battery was changed try disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery, leave it off a couple minutes then reconnect. It is possible the computer just freaked.

Last edited by Knotsobright1; 18 Aug 2009 at 09:49 am.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Would this cause the fan to not come in?
Old 18 Aug 2009, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I thought Chrysler used a specific kind of coolant, not sure if Peak is compatible with it. It shouldn't have any effect on the operation of the fan.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Aug 2009, 12:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Would this cause the fan to not come in?

If the ECU went dumb it would.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 12:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I thought Chrysler used a specific kind of coolant, not sure if Peak is compatible with it. It shouldn't have any effect on the operation of the fan.
Chrysler recommends Zerex but as long as you do a good flush you can use anything except dexcool.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 12:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Chrysler recommends Zerex but as long as you do a good flush you can use anything except dexcool. But as you stated this would not cause the fans to not come on.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry about all the mis spelling. I'm using a cell phone to type& it changed my words when I hit enter to what it thinks they Should be