Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser Stalls after driving at high speeds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2009, 11:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Cruiser Stalls after driving at high speeds

I am having an issue where my 2002 PT Cruiser will stall after driving at high speeds for a while. Like today when i came into the office. I am slowing down on the off ramp into the town i work in, and it just stalled. Now, if i sit there for about 10 minutes i am able to start it again. Now i took it into a repair shop, and they were unable to replicate the issue. Since the check engine light was not coming on, they couldn't find any codes. So today, the check engine light finally comes on.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this?

-rob
Old 19 Aug 2009, 11:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser Stalls after driving at high speeds

Check the code first. Post your findings here and/or check through this list.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is throwing 2 codes: P1391 and P1684
Old 19 Aug 2009, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P1684 does not indicate a problem; it's only a status, which indicates that the PCM memory has been cleared within the last 50 ignition cycles.

1391 Sometimes, I can't see the crank or cam sensor signal.

This one has been showing up quite a bit lately. It's hard to get a the Crank sensor, but pretty easy to check the wiring of the Camshaft sensor. It's on the right side of the engine. Check all the wiring as far as you can. You might end up buying a new sensor (around $50 from a Chrysler dealer) and you don't want to trust a sensor from an aftermarket auto dealer.

Old 29 Apr 2010, 09:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello, and I guess I'm one of those people who resurrects old threads.

Our 2002 PT Cruiser Touring Edition with 103K miles on it was parked in our driveway on Tuesday night and would not start on Wednesday morning. After reading through this website (which after a few hours of doing some research turns out to be the most knowledgable PT Cruiser site out there), I obtained the P codes, and they are the same as the person who posted above.

I was able to disconnect the wiring plug from the sensor, and I did a quick visual and tactile inspection of the cabling, and it appears to be good (to a layman).

Based on the picture above (which I also saw in another thread on this site- this picture is invaluable to me), I want to replace the Camshaft Position Sensor, and I'm stuck. Is the sensor the whole assembly that is bolted to the head with the two (8mm?) bolts? Do I just take off the two bolts and (carefully) pry the whole sensor off and replace it? Is the sensor the black plastic portion that is attached to that plate that has the two bolts?

I think this is a repair that I can handle, but I don't want to start unbolting stuff that doesn't need to be unbolted. I looked at the connector on the wiring harness, and it appears to only be a connector, no sensor inside.

Am I on the right track? Is it as simple as taking out those two bolts and replacing with a new OEM sensor and then hooking up the wiring harness connector?

Rob
Old 29 Apr 2010, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum Bob. My first thought would be to check the timing belt. With the PT having over 100K on it, I would either check it myself or have someone trusted to look to see if it needs a timing belt etc.

Unless you have positively pinpointed the sensor, I wouldn't mess with it.

If the timing belt is gone, you will get that same code.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 Apr 2010, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick response. I was in a hurry this morning and can add a few more things:

1- No, the timing belt has not been changed on this car (to my knowledge. We got this with 30K miles on it.

2- The car has been running rough for the past 3 weeks, almost like it has a bad spark plug.

3- Fuel mileage has gone down 1-2 MPG within that 3 week timeframe.

4- We have a trusted mechanic. Unfortunately, he is trusted by a Loy of people and is booked for the next 2 weeks.

5- We have a second car, and the wife and I carpool, so we have reliable transportation for work.

I'm thinking that it's time to have the 100K service done. It would be really nice to be able to drive the car to the mechanc instead of having it towed, but we have AAA and can have it towed at mo additional cost to us.

I'm always open to suggestions, but we're prepared to cancel our vacation next week knowing that these repairs will eat up our vacation fund, bit we have to keep our priorities straight.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 29 Apr 2010, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Rob,

Like they said above, the P0340 code will pop up if the timing belt has given way. That and possibly a code for the Crankshaft sensor. They both stop sending signals to the computer when the belt breaks. Changing the belt is a 5 to 7 hour labor job not including parts and we recommend the water pump, belt tensioner, serpentine and alternator belts. All told, anywhere from $800 to $1200 depending on part and labor prices.

Hopefully no internal damage was done when the belt broke but since it didn't snap when you were actually driving, it's a good possibility your OK.

A good way to check if the belt broke is to take those 8mm bolts off the Camshaft sensor and remove the sensor itself. Have someone crank over the engine a few times and see if the end of the cam shaft is actually turning when you try and start it. If it's not turning, the belt has gone.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 01:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

I was going to suggest the idle speed control motor until I saw the 10 minute wait to restart.
What happens when you try to start within the ten minutes?
Does it crank?
Did you try to start it with your foot on the gas a little?
Old 02 May 2010, 04:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello again,

It is now @ 3 days after I posted my reply to this thread. When this is all over and done, I will do a full write-up w/ pictures and post it here so that it might possibly help others with this P1391 error code.

The new Mopar sensor was purchased on Friday and installed on Sunday. This is a repair that a layman can make. It was not hard at all.

After replacing the sensor, I fired up the car to find out that the battery was too run down to crank the engine. Out came my brand new, straight from Costco, purchased for our Mustang that doesn't beep when you leave headlights on Insta-battery jump starter! No better place to take your time in learning about a new toy than in your back yard.

With the insta-jumper attached, the car turned over for about 3 seconds, and it didn't fire. I tried it again and did the "give it a little gas like it had a carburator" thing, and it fired up. Ran really rough, but it ran. I noticed that the Engine Light was still on, so I turned it off, and restarted (insta-charger had been disconnected). Fired up no problem, and after about a minute, it settled down to a nice smooth idle at a little under 1,000rpm. From the sound it made at idle, it sounded about where it was before. There were no RPM surges, but the engine light stayed on.

So, here is the meat of the post:

Will the Engine light go out by itself after a problem is fixed, or does it need to be re-set? If it needs to be re-set, can Joe Public like me re-set it, or does it need to head to someone with a special tool?

It's still giving the 1391 code after replacing the Camshaft Sensor and restarting the car. The results of replacing this sensor indicate to me (without having taken it out of the driveway) that the non-starting and bad idling have been solved, but the appearance of the Engine light after the repair is bothering me.

Thanks!

Rob