Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor Mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2009, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Motor Mounts

I took my 04 for an oil change today and they said the front motor mounts were broken. Can I do this work myself and does anyone have instructions. I can't afford $700.00.
Thanks for your help.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Mounts

I replaced my upper and lower mounts on the passenger side for 70 bucks total buying the parts from orielly's. The center mount is going to be a pain, but it will get done when I do the timing belt. It's about 65bucks from oreilly's, and then there is the trans mount. Haven't priced it yet, and don't plan on it.

The upper and lower mount took me all of about 20 minutes to change out. The tough one is the upper mount and trying to work it out from between the motor and the upper part of the wheel well and frame area with the ac lines in the way.

2003 Hemi Ram - TMR, Flows, Killed the Cat with mechanical O2 sim, K & N, no hat, Taylor Shorty Wires, Tow Pkg

Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So it 's not too bad to do on your own. Can you tell me where to get instructions on how to do it step by step. Thanks...
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03hothemi View Post
I replaced my upper and lower mounts on the passenger side for 70 bucks total buying the parts from orielly's. The center mount is going to be a pain, but it will get done when I do the timing belt. It's about 65bucks from oreilly's, and then there is the trans mount. Haven't priced it yet, and don't plan on it.

The upper and lower mount took me all of about 20 minutes to change out. The tough one is the upper mount and trying to work it out from between the motor and the upper part of the wheel well and frame area with the ac lines in the way.
The two you changed is what everybody calls motor mounts, but they are really torque struts. The one you call the center mount is really a motor mount. I see absolutely no reason to change it unless it is broken. There is another motor mount on the firewall and that one, unless broken, doesn't need changing either. Never heard of either one ever needing replacement and that includes high hp turbos. Your call, though.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
The two you changed is what everybody calls motor mounts, but they are really torque struts. The one you call the center mount is really a motor mount. I see absolutely no reason to change it unless it is broken. There is another motor mount on the firewall and that one, unless broken, doesn't need changing either. Never heard of either one ever needing replacement and that includes high hp turbos. Your call, though.
The guy at the oil change place said my motor mounts and a strut mount were broken. How do I replace these myself. Pret good mechanic just need step by step.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpt04 View Post
The guy at the oil change place said my motor mounts and a strut mount were broken. How do I replace these myself. Pret good mechanic just need step by step.
I can get you pictures from my service manual tomorrow morning.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_man View Post
I can get you pictures from my service manual tomorrow morning.
Thanks a lot. I will check back tomorrow morning.
Any advice would be appreciated. I can't stomach paying $700.00 at the shop for this.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
The naming makes sense to me, as does there function now that I think about it a little. The center mount and trans mount look good from what I can see, so they are staying...thanks for the education...

2003 Hemi Ram - TMR, Flows, Killed the Cat with mechanical O2 sim, K & N, no hat, Taylor Shorty Wires, Tow Pkg

Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpt04 View Post
Thanks a lot. I will check back tomorrow morning.
Any advice would be appreciated. I can't stomach paying $700.00 at the shop for this.
Just be sure to support the engine/trans so they don't move. A jack and apiece of wood underneath work fine. If there is movement you would be looking at realighning the engine again. If nothing moves then no problem.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 20 Aug 2009, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I will take all the help/advice I can get as this is my first time dealing with motor mounts. I'm a little nervous about the engine movement issue though. I don't want to cause more damage and have to pay someone in the end. If I use a floor jack under the bell housing of the trans. is that going to lift and support enough?
Thanks