PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2006 pt cruiser with hesitation prob.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2009, 07:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 pt cruiser with hesitation prob.

Just updating,
I already change spark plugs. So far I have changed:
both O2 sensors
camshaft sensor
spark plugs and cables

took the pt for a scan and got the p0016 and p0344 (not p0340 as I sad before).

problem:
Every time my rpm's reach 2300-2500 the car start bucking and hesitating.
example: After a stop light if I push the gas pedal and it reach 2300-2500 rpm's (changing from 1st gear to 2nd gear) it will start bucking. Same when I reach 61 mph in highway (same rpm's).

According to the scanner, the code p0016 shows that it is a crankshaft problem not oxygen.

In post #5, slartyblarfast said that an engine out of time can cause these codes. Is there any way I can check the timing?
Old 31 Aug 2009, 02:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I may have misdiagnosed the p0016. I have been off work for a couple of months and was going by memory. Happily I got back to work in a couple of days!
Checking the timing can be a little difficult.... Take off the upper timing cover to expose the timing sprockets. Turn the engine over till the timing marks line up. There is an arrow on both sprockest that should point up then you will see marks on the face of the sprockets. Now the hard part is to see if the crankshaft is in time. You can look down to it if you look hard. You will see a little nib sticking out from the oil pump. It should line up with a little notch on the back of the crank sprocket.
Now having said all that I'm used to having the front covers off when I'm working on the engine so it may not be as easy as I remember it.
The p0344 is I believe for the crank sensor. That with the other codes makes me wonder? DOes the engine run rough at idle? Does it lack power or not seem to run right (except for the obvious!) It's rare that these engines jump time but not out of the question.
Wish I could be a little more help but kinda hard to do over the internet.
At this point If I where you I would take it too a dealer or a reputable after market shop and have them do a full diagnosis.
Old 01 Sep 2009, 06:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for replying slarty,
I am going to follow your advice about taking the pt to the mechanic or dealer.
I will keep updating this thread as it goes.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I took the pt to the dealer and after one week with them, they claim it is the computer that is causing the problem.

First they check the timing, but in order to do that both engine covers needed to be taken off, $346.00 charge for this.

Later they said, it could be the flex plate but they want to be sure before they start dropping off the transmission. Now they pretty sure is the computer.

My question is:
According to them there is no way to get a computer from another 2006 pt cruiser and install it in on my pt, because they can not erase the other pt information and store in it the info from my pt.
Does anybody knows otherwise?

It will be cheaper for me, to buy a used computer and install it.

I appreciate your input on this matter.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just to update and close this thread.
The dealer installed a new computer and the problem still there,so, after several calls to other technicians they found that the engine from my pt cruiser was changed in the past and there was not a good communication with the computer. They programmed the computer according to my new engine and problem solved.

I would like to thank every body for their input on this matter!
nvo2003
Old 22 Apr 2010, 01:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi im new to this not sure how to post my on forum so im just replying to something hoping someone can help me!

I have a 2005 pt cruiser and i ran out of gas and got towed to get gas and after filling up i went to turn the car on and it wont start. It makes no noise and wont even turn over. The battery is brand new and all the lights and everything turn on. A red light blinks..not sure what that means or if that always blinks.. does anyone know the problem or how to fix it? help please!!
Old 22 Apr 2010, 07:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If it's a small red dot that is flashing, it's the security system of the car. If it's a picture of an engine that's flashing, it's a sign that computer has found a major problem and you have to do the key trick to fine the fault code or have someone read the computer to find out what's wrong.

If it is the "engine" light that's flashing, here's how to retrieve the fault code:

How to retrieve fault codes.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 22 Apr 2010, 02:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey CREWZIN,

Thanks so much. So it is just the red light blinking. What should i do about that, how do i fix it to make it start?

Marla
Old 22 Apr 2010, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As Junker pointed out in your other post, you might just have to wait awhile to see if it starts and the system re-sets itself. Also try a different key.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com