PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Filter- Poll

View Poll Results: Can you tell your performance is better with the selected brand?
AirAid Intake for NA- yes 4 80.00%
AirAid intake for NA- No 0 0%
Fuel Inj. Ram Air Turbo/Non Turbo - K&N- YES 1 20.00%
Fuel Inj. Ram Air Turbo/Non Turbo - K&N- NO 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2009, 07:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Default Air Filter- Poll

I'm thinking about upgrading!

Old 23 Aug 2009, 07:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air Filter- Poll

To what??? I have the stock air box, super-modified to be free-flowing, and the K&N drop-in. I also have the K&N Typhoon, which I'll be selling as soon as I clean it up. Have tried both, just don't like how loud my engine became with the Typoon intake or I'd still be running it. Considering it for the track, along with pulling off the hood, but might just be too big a PITA. I think my Typhoon is for the Turbo model only, so wouldn't work on yours...

This is the Typhoon:
Old 23 Aug 2009, 07:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes, comparing K&N and AirAid, or if anyone else got one they suggest. I would like to see feedback, over the normal intake with the box.

Old 23 Aug 2009, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With either you'll definitely get batter MPG than you're posting. You'll also hear that intake, not as much as a turbo but it does improve the sound, in my book. You'll pay about 35% more for the K&N, and I think the Airaid systems seem to me to fit somewhat better. But then it's sort of a coin toss. They both make very nice looking kits. My take is the K&N has a better filter, but the Airaid has a better setup, so go figure... if it were me, and I had an NA car, I'd go with the Airaid... but I've never tried one out so maybe others with experience with them can post their feedback. Either way, even if you just get a drop-in for your current intake, you're going to get some gains from it.

Now I've read what the adverts say, "Up to 12 hp gain". BS.. and I was tempted to spell out the whole word...lol... I ran my car, stock, on a dyno here in NC, then installed Crane Firewires, gutted my stock intake and put in a drop-in. No other performance mods.

Here my car ran right at 185whp, 205lb ft torque on the factory setup. Almost exactly what Chrysler says the car will do, as it's rated 230 hp at the crank. The calculated whp from 230hp, is 184whp, so damn if I wasn't close.

Then took the car to Florida and ran it on the dyno at RageTek. Mind you, big differences are seen between dynos, add to it much denser air in Florida versus where I was here in NC, so you always take your dyno readings with a 10% factor, that's it can be +/- 5% either way. Put in tha K&N and the fire wires, ran it on their dyno, first run was 212whp, 225lb ft torque! Do the math, 27hp gain, 20 lb ft gain in torque. Uh, that's almost too much for what I'd done, but had fresh oil, fresh plugs, fresh wires, fresh air filter, 3" intake from fender to turbo, and ran about 2 quarts of race fuel to richen up my mixture a bit, and boost the overall octane to somewhere around 95 or 96. All that added up to that 27hp gain.

Mind you, we went ahead and did a custom tune that really blew that away, but this whole story is to show that just cleaning it up a bit, adding fresh oil, plugs and a high-flow filter really do work some magic on your horse power.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 07:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback, I don't know much about engine and the components of it

Old 23 Aug 2009, 10:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
With either you'll definitely get batter MPG than you're posting. You'll also hear that intake, not as much as a turbo but it does improve the sound, in my book. You'll pay about 35% more for the K&N, and I think the Airaid systems seem to me to fit somewhat better. But then it's sort of a coin toss. They both make very nice looking kits. My take is the K&N has a better filter, but the Airaid has a better setup, so go figure... if it were me, and I had an NA car, I'd go with the Airaid... but I've never tried one out so maybe others with experience with them can post their feedback. Either way, even if you just get a drop-in for your current intake, you're going to get some gains from it.

Now I've read what the adverts say, "Up to 12 hp gain". BS.. and I was tempted to spell out the whole word...lol... I ran my car, stock, on a dyno here in NC, then installed Crane Firewires, gutted my stock intake and put in a drop-in. No other performance mods.

Here my car ran right at 185whp, 205lb ft torque on the factory setup. Almost exactly what Chrysler says the car will do, as it's rated 230 hp at the crank. The calculated whp from 230hp, is 184whp, so damn if I wasn't close.

Then took the car to Florida and ran it on the dyno at RageTek. Mind you, big differences are seen between dynos, add to it much denser air in Florida versus where I was here in NC, so you always take your dyno readings with a 10% factor, that's it can be +/- 5% either way. Put in tha K&N and the fire wires, ran it on their dyno, first run was 212whp, 225lb ft torque! Do the math, 27hp gain, 20 lb ft gain in torque. Uh, that's almost too much for what I'd done, but had fresh oil, fresh plugs, fresh wires, fresh air filter, 3" intake from fender to turbo, and ran about 2 quarts of race fuel to richen up my mixture a bit, and boost the overall octane to somewhere around 95 or 96. All that added up to that 27hp gain.

Mind you, we went ahead and did a custom tune that really blew that away, but this whole story is to show that just cleaning it up a bit, adding fresh oil, plugs and a high-flow filter really do work some magic on your horse power.
I about fell off my chair when I read those numbers. You are saying you gained 27 hp and 20 lbs/ft of torque from spark plug wires and a K&N drop in filter, and a little bit of race fuel? BS. Now I know Nemo and Rage Tek through parts I bought for both my '03 PT GT and my '05 SRT-4 and without a tune there is no way in hell you got that gain. Now if you had a Diablosport Predator with tune and got those numbers I'd whole heartily agree. You say you later did a tune (with what?) Bottom line is wires will give you no gain and a K&N drop in will give you a 2-3 hp gain and about the same for torque. I've seen that on the dyno. Maybe you aren't explaining it well enough because without a tune I just don't see those numbers. I've got the DS Predator and a tune on my srt so I know what that can do.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 23 Aug 2009, 10:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Air Filter- Poll

AirRaid + cold air to that hot engine!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 25 Aug 2009, 12:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I about fell off my chair when I read those numbers. You are saying you gained 27 hp and 20 lbs/ft of torque from spark plug wires and a K&N drop in filter, and a little bit of race fuel? BS. Now I know Nemo and Rage Tek through parts I bought for both my '03 PT GT and my '05 SRT-4 and without a tune there is no way in hell you got that gain. Now if you had a Diablosport Predator with tune and got those numbers I'd whole heartily agree. You say you later did a tune (with what?) Bottom line is wires will give you no gain and a K&N drop in will give you a 2-3 hp gain and about the same for torque. I've seen that on the dyno. Maybe you aren't explaining it well enough because without a tune I just don't see those numbers. I've got the DS Predator and a tune on my srt so I know what that can do.
sh*t, you are right, that was with the 93 tune in it. I forgot that Nemo never backed me down to factory tune before his first run. I had the car at DiabloSport and they blew the compressor on their dyno so they'd gotten part way through customizing the 93 tune...doh... so they gave me the use of their truck for two days while they played with it, busted the dyno so I took it down to Nemo's shop and he ran the p*ss out of it. Yeah, you're right, I totally forgot that I had the 93 in there on that run, and about a half tank of 100 proof too!!! Damn...oh well... the numbers did look too good to be true...lol
Old 25 Aug 2009, 04:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
sh*t, you are right, that was with the 93 tune in it. I forgot that Nemo never backed me down to factory tune before his first run. I had the car at DiabloSport and they blew the compressor on their dyno so they'd gotten part way through customizing the 93 tune...doh... so they gave me the use of their truck for two days while they played with it, busted the dyno so I took it down to Nemo's shop and he ran the p*ss out of it. Yeah, you're right, I totally forgot that I had the 93 in there on that run, and about a half tank of 100 proof too!!! Damn...oh well... the numbers did look too good to be true...lol
Now that makes sense. Nemo did a custom tune for my DSP with my S2 and bolt ons. The srt-4 flies.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 29 Aug 2009, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did any of this help anyone? I am looking at doing the same thing but unsure if there is really a difference between the k&n or the airaid besides the looks and price. I know some people see a difference and some don't, but has anyone seen a difference using the k&n drop in and modifying the air box? i know I' ve read a few things on this site and others but no real consensus. I am guessing that its just personal preference but it a good bit of dough to dish out.