Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New 08 manual trans question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2009, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New 08 manual trans question...

Hi Folks, Just picked up a new 2008 PT and we love it except... When I've parked the car on an incline with the car in first gear, it feels like the engine loses some compression and will slowly bump backwards unless the parking brake is on.

Driven lots of manuals before, but never experienced this before. Besides this one issue, the car handles and accelerates well. It has about 143 miles on it so far.

Any ideas what might cause this to happen???

Thanks,

Deborah
Old 25 Aug 2009, 06:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: New 08 manual trans question...

You always need to set the parking brake. Putting it in gear is only a backup.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 04:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

I'm really surprised at how many people I've know with a standard that don't know to use the parking brake. I've finally got my girlfriend trained to use hers on her auto Scion. I didn't use mine on my autos years ago, until a transmission shop showed me the piece of metal in a transmission he called the parking gear. It looked like a good shove from a schoolgirl would snap it off and send a car rolling down a hill. :P
On a side note, its good on any car to use the parking brake regularly just to keep it in working condition. In an emergency situation, it may not stop your car quickly, but it will slow you down a bit. From personal experience, they definately help the suddenly NOT power brakes out a lot when the engine stalls.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 05:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation Re: New 08 manual trans question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmywolf View Post
Hi Folks, Just picked up a new 2008 PT and we love it except... When I've parked the car on an incline with the car in first gear, it feels like the engine loses some compression and will slowly bump backwards unless the parking brake is on.
Driven lots of manuals before, but never experienced this before. Besides this one issue, the car handles and accelerates well. It has about 143 miles on it so far.
Any ideas what might cause this to happen???

Thanks,

Deborah
This is nothing to worry about. I have experienced it on many inclines with many different manual trans cars and trucks. (Try other gears?) But the advice to use the parking brake is correct. Do so. I learned to drive in San Francisco, and learned big time to use the parking brake, set in gear, curb the wheels, and carry a wheel chock. Still do, even in flat country. Doing otherwise makes my skin crawl.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 12:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

One possible reason that this happens on your new car verses previous ones is since in a continuing quest for better fuel economy, car manufacturers take more and more friction out of the powertrain. Maybe your other cars had older higher friction parts that had just enough drag to hold themselves on an incline. It's a long shot but the best story i can come up with.
At any rate, everyone else is right, alway use your hand brake. The one time you park on a hill and forget you would regret it.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 08:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Another thought. You may have less problem with this when the engine gets fully broken in. Another long shot, though.