Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 GT auto halfshaft removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2009, 08:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 GT auto halfshaft removal

Well, my other half has a 03 GT auto that I am working on. Replacing lower ball joints, struts and shocks. Car has looseness when going slow. Give it alittle gas and there is a clunk, let off there is a clunk. Looking at the half shafts, the right inner joint is loose on the shaft that comes out of the trans. The joint next to the half shaft to engine support. I can grab the CV joint casting and rock it on the shaft. I am 99% sure that is not suppose to be. Now, I have never pulled a half shaft. Am I going to lose all the trans fluid when the shaft is pulled? And how much is that. How do I get the shaft out? Looks like I pull the bolts on the engine/ shaft brace. And pull the bolts for the halfshaft tube? Is there a retaining ring on the shaft that I have to pull out of the spider gears? Thanks for your help. I got an idea how it goes, but I don't want any suprises.

Will
Old 26 Aug 2009, 08:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 03 GT auto halfshaft removal

The half shaft will come off of the stub shaft. It is a little loose. Some minor movement is normal. Have you already done all the work? If so did you make sure you tightened all the bolts? Have you checked motor mounts? Also the bushing on the rear of the control arm is trash. They will make noise when the break. Also check the big bolt at that bushing, if it's just a smidge loose it can make noise. It doesn't take much. Also in rare cases I have seen the bolt on the middle motor mount brake and that lest the engine sag and usually it will sit on the subframe and cause noise. Could also be wheel bearings. I have seen them very loose but not cause any noise but a knocking. Just a little info to go there.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well thanks. I have not finished it all, yet. I can not find a shaft. Dealer tells me they are backorder and will take 4 to 6 weeks to get. No auto place has the shaft. I will check all of what you said. The clunk is only under 10 mph. Like at a stop sign. Take your foot off the brake and give a touch of gas and let off. If you hit it from a stop you will hear nothing. Can the control arm rear bushing be removed from the arm in the vehicle? I will replace them. Middle motor mount brake??? Where is that one? Thanks for your help. I really like the car too. And at 105,000 miles it has been an ok car. Moves pretty good too.

Thanks,

Will
Old 26 Aug 2009, 09:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1970 View Post
Well thanks. I have not finished it all, yet. I can not find a shaft. Dealer tells me they are backorder and will take 4 to 6 weeks to get. No auto place has the shaft. I will check all of what you said. The clunk is only under 10 mph. Like at a stop sign. Take your foot off the brake and give a touch of gas and let off. If you hit it from a stop you will hear nothing. Can the control arm rear bushing be removed from the arm in the vehicle? I will replace them. Middle motor mount brake??? Where is that one? Thanks for your help. I really like the car too. And at 105,000 miles it has been an ok car. Moves pretty good too.

Thanks,

Will
The control arm has to be removed to replace the bushing. It's kind of a pain in the a** to do. The bushing has to be pressed out and new one pressed in. I normally just replace the control arm assembly. New bushings and new balljoints and a lot less hassle and work! The middle motor mount is at the crank pulley end of the engine in the fender. Sounds more like the bushings are shot.