PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! I got my timing belt changed and I'm getting like 10mpg less now!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2009, 09:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Help! I got my timing belt changed and I'm getting like 10mpg less now!!!

Ok long story short, but to you regulars here you probably remember my story w/ my PT.

Car has 90k miles. Had a t-belt and water pump and all that good stuff put on a month ago. Had the car inspected came out great.

My only gripe is, I'm getting about 160-ish miles per tank. The whole reason I got rid of my lifted, tires, 5.4 F150 is because of getting this kind of gas mileage.

What I dont get though is why I went from 22-24mpg city to about 12. This is mind boggling.

The car runs GREAT. No hesitation, no shuddering, no overheating, idles great etc. The ONLY thing I can think might be an issue is the oil is VERY over due for a changing, and I think it has stock plugs and wires.

I realize these 3 are a big no-no, but seriously.. 10mpg??? Thats out of hand. I'm about to buy another Land Rover w/ this kind of mileage.

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 26 Aug 2009, 09:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Help! I got my timing belt changed and I'm getting like 10mpg less now!!!

There was a kid on here that is getting 40 mpg with his , I'd suggest breeding them and taking pick of the litter...

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Help! I got my timing belt changed and I'm getting like 10mpg less now!!!

Lol yes I remember that.

But truthfully I used to get GREAT gas mileage before my timing belt change.. so wtf happened? I drive it the same way, if I were to drive it any easier it would take half an hour to go down the street!

Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How many tanks have you gone thru? Did you change gas stations?
Have you changed your PCV valve? Air filter okay?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:35 am
Senior Cruiser

PCV valve would produce choppy idle..
Doubt its the plugs, but definitely agree with checking the air filter. Could need changing.

Old 27 Aug 2009, 10:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
How many tanks have you gone thru? Did you change gas stations?
Have you changed your PCV valve? Air filter okay?
I've gone thru about 4-5 tanks of gas since I got the car back. I thought maybe it would take a while for the ecu to re learn something or whatever after the belt change, but my mileage is actually going down. When I FIRST got the car back, a few tanks were 19mpg. Then 17.?mpg. Now like 12mpg. It's bad.

It's got a brand new filter on it. Dunno about pcv valve..
Been using the same gas station for 2.5 years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
PCV valve would produce choppy idle..
Doubt its the plugs, but definitely agree with checking the air filter. Could need changing.
You dont think it's the plugs? I'm pretty sure they are stock plugs and wires but dunno

Last edited by 85_305; 27 Aug 2009 at 10:11 am.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 11:54 am
Senior Cruiser

The plugs may be contributing to the problem, but I seriously doubt that the plugs and wires are the main cause of losing approximately 50% of your fuel mileage. If you noticed choppy idle and more audible noise coming from your engine compartment, I'd say it might be a fouled plug or two and one or more of your cylinders aren't firing. But you say it runs fine, and it idles great, so to me, that rules that out.

Though if you have $50 or so laying around, it definitely would not be a bad idea to swap the plugs and wires. In my opinion, there's a deeper problem here, but it couldn't hurt to rule that out, you know?

Old 27 Aug 2009, 04:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Maybe your O2 sensor got unplugged...
Old 27 Aug 2009, 04:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
The plugs may be contributing to the problem, but I seriously doubt that the plugs and wires are the main cause of losing approximately 50% of your fuel mileage. If you noticed choppy idle and more audible noise coming from your engine compartment, I'd say it might be a fouled plug or two and one or more of your cylinders aren't firing. But you say it runs fine, and it idles great, so to me, that rules that out.

Though if you have $50 or so laying around, it definitely would not be a bad idea to swap the plugs and wires. In my opinion, there's a deeper problem here, but it couldn't hurt to rule that out, you know?
Shit. I def. dont hear anything outside the norm with the PT though. No vacuum leaks, doesn't seem like it's got any dead cylinders, it's smooth etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Maybe your O2 sensor got unplugged...
UNplugged??? Then how do I plug this mug back up???

Old 27 Aug 2009, 05:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Unplugged meaning the connector was disconnected and never reconnected in the process of the timing belt replacement job.