PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do those high tech air intake and filter kits work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2009, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Do those high tech air intake and filter kits work?

Do those air intake and filter kits you see on Ebay actually add an extra 7-10hp? I have an 03 Touring.
Old 28 Aug 2009, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Do those high tech air intake and filter kits work?

Not sure which ones you are referring to, but many on here use K&N or AiRaid air filters. A few have "cone" air filters which are under hood filters vs the ones that fit on the stock air box.

Not really sure you can get that much of a MPG gain, but boy it makes the PT sound good!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Aug 2009, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot of posts on this. I noticed improved throttle response, and at 25+ MPG overall, an intake sure doesn't hurt mileage.
There are differences of opinion, I think they are better than stock - stock had to compromise toward keeping things quiet at expense of air flow...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Aug 2009, 11:43 am
Cool Cruiser

I brought my Airaid for two reasons, one, I like the sound, it reminds me of a '67 Dodge Dart GT I had with aftermarket carb and air filter. Two, I like the look when I open the hood. Better gas mileage, better performance, I don't know.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 28 Aug 2009, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not sure if I got better fuel mileage, but I do have to agree with Don's statement on throttle response. I was really surprised with the fact that it definitely felt like you went from RPM's at idle (around775 on mine) to producing boost in the blink of an eye. I personally didn't like the sound, but then some do, some don't.

If you have a turbo, I've got a gorgeous chromed K&N Typhoon kit for sale, original packaging, was used on my car for two weeks...
Old 28 Aug 2009, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your answers.
Old 28 Aug 2009, 05:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

No power gain or mpg gain. Have had 3 PTs since '01 (still got one) so I pretty much know what does and what doesn't work on these cars. Airaid or Volant makes the best that don't suck in power robbing hot air. If you feel you need to have one then get it for the sound and not false promises of more power and better mpg.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic