Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT - Speedometer AND Odometer not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2009, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT - Speedometer AND Odometer not working

Hi - long time lurker, first time poster.

I just picked up my wife's 2006 PT from the shop. (Still under warranty) The original issue was a low pressure switch issue with the A/C. This is the second time the car has been in the shop in as many months, as the fan assembly had to be fixed last month.

They also replaced "the computer" as it was termed from the dealer.

I left the dealer (which is approx. 40 mins from my house) and didn't notice until I was well away from the dealer, but the speedometer is not working at all (doesn't even sweep around on startup) and the odometer is not registering miles either. RPM, gas, temp, seat belt lights, etc. power up fine. Just no speedo, no odometer. (Odometer lights up, but doesn't register miles)

I've been told there is a way to fix the problem myself without going back to the dealer which involves "crossing cables" or some sort. Is this the proper fix for the problem I'm describing, and if so, how do I do it? I don't want to fry the car and/or myself.

Thanks!!
Old 28 Aug 2009, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT - Speedometer AND Odometer not working

Also, I tried the trick that Crewzin recommended of pressing the Odometer switch when powering up. The dials did move this time, but still no speedo/odometer. Also, now pressing the odometer button doesn't do anything (worked before)
Old 28 Aug 2009, 09:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't mess with it. Return to dealer, let them fix it as long as it was working before. You wouldn't want to fry something and then you would have to PAY!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Aug 2009, 11:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post

They also replaced "the computer" as it was termed from the dealer.

I left the dealer (which is approx. 40 mins from my house) and didn't notice until I was well away from the dealer, but the speedometer is not working at all (doesn't even sweep around on startup) and the odometer is not registering miles either. RPM, gas, temp, seat belt lights, etc. power up fine. Just no speedo, no odometer. (Odometer lights up, but doesn't register miles)

Thanks!!
call the dealer and tell them they forgot to enter your pinion factor (tire size) and then I'd sugest heading back to them and don't let them charge you for this. They goofed up and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Btw. This is what happened to me when I put in the stage 1. You are looking at a 30 to45 minute wait while they hook it up to the computer.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 29 Aug 2009, 02:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GTCruiser View Post
call the dealer and tell them they forgot to enter your pinion factor (tire size) and then I'd sugest heading back to them and don't let them charge you for this. They goofed up and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Btw. This is what happened to me when I put in the stage 1. You are looking at a 30 to45 minute wait while they hook it up to the computer.
What he said. I've done it more than once. Pretty easy to do when you get in a hurry. Driving it back will be ok. Won't cause damage.
Old 29 Aug 2009, 04:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
What he said. I've done it more than once. Pretty easy to do when you get in a hurry. Driving it back will be ok. Won't cause damage.
Yeah. No damage, just a chance for tickets. If it's a turbo, probably won't see much, if any boost. (I got 3psi.)

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 30 Aug 2009, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice. Looks like we'll take it in tomorrow, give the recommendation you guys posted, and go do food shopping while they fix it.

(And trust me, I won't pay for it - I called them as soon as I saw the problem and told them i was bringing it back on Monday)
Old 30 Aug 2009, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GTCruiser View Post
Yeah. No damage, just a chance for tickets. If it's a turbo, probably won't see much, if any boost. (I got 3psi.)
I'm solving that issue by giving her my GPS for the day. It's not entirely accurate, but she won't do 50 in 35.
Old 04 Sep 2009, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To close this thread out, even though I gave them the pinion advice, they replaced the PCM on the Cruiser. We drove it home, no issues this time; just wish they fixed it right the first time.

I think the most annoying thing about this was that they diagnosed the problem, and gave me back the cruiser telling me it was "done" - but they needed to get the part in (and didn't tell me that part). We drove off the lot not knowing we still needed a part and flipped out because of a communication breakdown.