PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ok whats the trick? thermostat housing??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2009, 11:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ok whats the trick? thermostat housing??

Okay so I replaced my bad thermostat and the auto parts store gave me a felpro brand rubber gasket. This thing will not seal up properly? I even went so far as to snap the head off the bolt. I have since pulled the damaged bolt out of there and I put the old gasket back on it. It held for a few minutes then it started leaking too? Is there a trick as I seem to not be able to seal this baby up..I have torqued it as far as I can without breaking yet another bolt..I also tried applying pressure as I tightnen and it again leaks. I did notice the seal that was on the car originally had a smaller top lip then the felpro. I know i need a new seal now I just dont want another felpro...thanks for any insight you can give me if you have had a similiar problem...take care..
Old 30 Aug 2009, 10:37 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: ok whats the trick? thermostat housing??

sounds to me you have the thermostat in the wrong rotation, it only fits in one direction or else the thermostat housing will hit thetop of the thermostat causing the housing to gap and not seal against the head.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 11:49 am
Regular Cruiser

If you tightened things enough to break a bolt I would bet that you warped something enough that you will never get the leak to stop without some serious repair work ..Contrary to common belief-A bigger hammer is not always the answer....

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 30 Aug 2009, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I dont think its warped because its hard plastic but I'll check it out. I think its more about being properly indexed in there. The new gasket though seems to be also an issue as its inflated and has to be squished/compressed into hole. The old gasket had an indexed spot on it making you have to put in a certain way the new one doesnt. I know though the hole on the thermostat has to be lined up with the notch on the housing.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 11:34 am
Cool Cruiser

If you have a dealer nearby, why don't you go buy a gasket from them. It's also possible that the aftermarket thermostat you purchased is not built exactly the same as a factory one and just doesn't fit properly.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 31 Aug 2009, 01:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyerrol View Post
If you have a dealer nearby, why don't you go buy a gasket from them. It's also possible that the aftermarket thermostat you purchased is not built exactly the same as a factory one and just doesn't fit properly.

your probably right as this one looks a good bit larger and both top and bottom material is equal. The one that came off it originally had most of the material on the top side and very little on the bottom...I live in the sticks so I'm trying not to drive 80 miles to get one however I will if this fails on this second go...
Old 01 Sep 2009, 10:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ptlimited View Post
your probably right as this one looks a good bit larger and both top and bottom material is equal. The one that came off it originally had most of the material on the top side and very little on the bottom...I live in the sticks so I'm trying not to drive 80 miles to get one however I will if this fails on this second go...
I live out past the sticks , even the IRS and ATF can't find me but the post office delivers mail 6 days a week , I order just about everything to the mailbox...

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Old 01 Sep 2009, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

I used the gasket and RTV on both sides, as I also could not get it to stop leaking. Doesn't leak now. .....good luck
Old 03 Sep 2009, 12:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberdaddy View Post
I used the gasket and RTV on both sides, as I also could not get it to stop leaking. Doesn't leak now. .....good luck
Please Enlighten us mere mortals , If you couldn't get it to stop leaking but now it doesn't leak what words did you say or ceremony did you perform.
..I tried the crossed chicken bones and rat turds on a 460 Ford and it worked for a while

Old 02 Sep 2010, 02:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I even went so far as to snap the head off the bolt. I have since pulled the damaged bolt out of there and I put the old gasket back on it. .[/QUOTE]

Hey, I snapped bolts (yeah both... ) Could anyone tell me what type I should get for replacement?
Thanks in advance