PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

No spark, turns over but no spark?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2009, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy No spark, turns over but no spark?

My 2003 PT Cruiser stalled on my wife the other day as soon as she put in into gear. Since then it refuses to fire up. I've gotten p0685 and p0113 fault codes from the odometer and it has me confused. I've replaced the crank and cam sensors to no avail. I've also switched out the asd relay. And also tested the coil pack and I have no spark. It has 93,000 miles on it. What other options could I have? Thanks to all that reply... Jim in Florida...
Old 05 Sep 2009, 01:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No spark, turns over but no spark?

Jim,

I'm not home (Florida) now so I can't check the manuals but doing a search of your problem seems to point to a bad ASD relay.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 05 Sep 2009, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes that's what I thought, however I switched out the relays., and I can feel a click on them when I turn the key to the on position. I basically moved the horn relay where I thought the problem was and got no results. Could it be a bad PCM?.. Thank you very much for your time.
Old 05 Sep 2009, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, sure could be that too but your going to probably need a scanner to check that out. My actual first thought was maybe your timing belt has gone. Not sure however if the engine would keep turning over when you tested it for spark. It's a non-interference engine so maybe it would turn with the starter since nothing is colliding.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Sep 2009 at 02:15 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2009, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes the engine would continually turn over but woul not fire I have inspected the timing belt as best as I could without going crazy. and from the top the belt seems intact but a little loose. I'm at a loss of words. Evidently A new pcm is quite hard to come by and expensive, if it were to be the pcm. What would you recommend I do?.. Thanks very much.... Jim
Old 05 Sep 2009, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

magic1021, I'd try to get it to a trusted mechanic or even to a dealer to let them try and figure out the problem. You have tried your best to correct the problem, and haven't benn able to find out the problem. That's the best I can offer.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Sep 2009, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yea I think that's about my only option. I might try to find a identical pcm module at the salvage yard. and see what happens. All the multimeter test lead back to the pcm but it very well could be the timing belt. A mystery probably best suited for the dealership. But boy are they a riot. Thank you for your time.. Jim..
Old 05 Sep 2009, 08:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This sounds like an electrical problem. Most likely something is shorted somewhere. I would take it to a good shop or a dealer.
Old 05 Sep 2009, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I thought PCM has to have VIN entered? You could try the coil - not often it goes, but hey...
Now I'm curious as to what it is...
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Sep 2009, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just want to follow up. I have a new development now. For the hell of it I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and then checked for the same fault codes. However it gave me a totally different one, it is now p0340 which signals a Camshaft position sensor circuit. Here's the catch at the beggining of this issue I installed a brand new csp sensor. So it must be something with the signal from the sensor to the computer. I've visually inspected the wiring harness, and see nothing out of the ordinary from what I can see. Does anyone have any imput? Thanks...