Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Types of Antifreeze we can use???

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2009, 09:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Types of Antifreeze we can use???

Besides Ma Mopars antifreeze is thier any other specific brands that will work as a replacement???

66CUDA
Old 06 Sep 2009, 11:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Types of Antifreeze we can use???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CUDA View Post
Besides Ma Mopars antifreeze is thier any other specific brands that will work as a replacement???

66CUDA

DexCool (GM) is available at any auto parts store like AutoZone...... and is designed for aluminum radiators, blocks, heads etc. Same color. I use it in everything, like to buy the 50/50 so no buying of distilled water nor mixing required.

Old 06 Sep 2009, 06:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Zerex G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant

Approved by Ford and DaimlerChrysler for use in automotive and diesel engines.

Valvoline.com > Products > Antifreeze Radiator Products > Antifreeze > Zerex G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf
Old 07 Sep 2009, 11:35 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ditto on the Zerex G-05...available from NAPA. Don't go by color, that is just a dye, has nothing to do with the coolant chemistry. Don't use DexCool.
Old 07 Sep 2009, 01:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've been using Prestone in all my junk for years , it says on the jug safe for all cooling systems or something to that effect....run 50% with 50% distilled water...If it doesn't work I'll sue em.....

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 07 Sep 2009, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's not a problem of "will it work", as you can run straight water if you're so inclined. The issue for me is more related to "what buggers my warranty"... I've been told that you have to run only approved coolant, so I'm going to look for the Zerex. They don't carry it at Advance Auto, which is where I usually shop, so will have to cross the street and visit Napa. However, if I run Dex, how on earth would anyone know the difference?? The only test they EVER do of your rad fluid is to test viscocity and temp range. I've never seen them test to insure it's the right product. Watched them working on a Patriot the other day, and the guys says, "looks the right color to me"...lol
Old 07 Sep 2009, 10:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Warranty ???? At 9 years and 100k plus that is a moot subject...I run the Prestone in everything from my vintage racing sportscars(except the early Porsche) up to when it comes time my wife's new BMW 750. NO Coolant related problems....I Buy it by the drum and mix with distilled water...Change it every 2 years ....

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 08 Sep 2009, 08:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CYCLONE_06 Send a message via Yahoo to CYCLONE_06

I changed mine over to the green stuff. Mixed preservative chemicals in it that my dad used to use in his semi Cat engine. Never cared for the red anti freeze. The green has been around forever, so, thats what I went with.

~CYCLONE_06

"It's been said winning isn't everything... Just not by me."
--Mark Martin
Old 08 Sep 2009, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The green stuff is pretty good for helping detect leacks, but dont forget to park your vehicle on the street or over a tarp or else wake up to a nice green driveway in the morning!
Old 09 Sep 2009, 09:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Types of Antifreeze we can use???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CUDA View Post

66CUDA
I've encountered the wrong antifreeze clogging up thin aluminum tubes, so I know it happens. I've seen another kind of antifreeze depositing out fluffy white gunk in an old brass radiator.

I've always put this in a sort of personal finance perspective. I look at it this way:
Newish car: "I recently spent XXX thousand dollars (insert correct number) on this car. I am going to change antifreeze. Am I going to risk the cooling system warranty on that XXX thousand dollar car by trying to save 20 bucks on antifreeze?"
"Nope."

Oldish car with no remaining warranty but otherwise good. "I have been driving this car for ZZ,ZZZ miles (insert correct number here.) Everything is working fine so far. I am going to change the antifreeze. Am I going to risk having to replace the radiator, thermostat, heater core and hoses to save 20 bucks on antifreeze?"
"Nope."

Your mileage and priorities may vary. I put Cummins Fleetguard antifreeze in my Cummins. It's blue.