Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'06 PT: Solenoid pack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2009, 12:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default '06 PT: Solenoid pack?

I recently had the transmission flushed on my '06 PT, (the last owner didn't do the 60k maintenance - so I did), and the transmission shop spotted a slow leak from the solenoid pack.

It's an automatic (non-turbo) with about 64k miles on it, so I assume it was due. They're quoting me $400 for the new solenoid, and say it's a Borg Warner. (And that may not include labor, given how upwardly flexible their quotes have been for other things.)

I've searched for the answer here and elsewhere, but I've only been able to find solenoid packs for '01-04 41TEs. Does the '06 non-turbo use the same solenoid pack, or is there one out there I'm just missing? I really don't want to get stuck using a mopar reman.

I've read over the DIY guide linked here, and I'm fairly certain I can replace it myself if it comes to it.

Thanks.
Old 08 Sep 2009, 08:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '06 PT: Solenoid pack?

Welcome to the forum.

I'm doing a search for your answer and haven't found the answer yet but I did find a couple of things that go along with what your trying to do:

The solenoid pack in a '06 PT cruiser is under the battery mount. If you go to - ptcrew.com and register so you can read the thread, there are pictures and instructions on how to locate, remove, and install a solenoid pack properly for the 'cruiser.

Your description sounds like the solenoid pack. Do not attempt to disassemble the transmission solenoid pack. It must be replaced as a unit. I've done a number of these. They are a popular transmission fault. Your dealership will have them in stock. You will need to perform a transmission quick learn after the repair has been completed. This is mandatory. A professional scanner can do it in a matter of seconds.

Chrysler 41TE Auto Transmission Solenoid Pack,OEM Mopar:eBay Motors (item 350242208126 end time Sep-18-09 15:59:46 PDT)

Above is a 41TE Solenoid pack and no year is given. Maybe they are all the same...and there's plenty more on eBay all for the 41TE transmission with no year given. If you can positively identify your tranny as a 41TE, then they should all be the same.

If you don't play around on eBay one of the vendors on this forum Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto has two "Control Solenoids) for sale. Not ecactly sure if that's the same as a "Solenoid Pack".

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Sep 2009 at 08:12 am.
Old 08 Sep 2009, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The non-turbo uses a 40TE transmission - 2 solenoid packs.
The 41TE has 4 sloenoid packs and was used in all early PTs and is still used for turbos.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Sep 2009, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
The solenoid pack in a '06 PT cruiser is under the battery mount. If you go to - ptcrew.com and register so you can read the thread, there are pictures and instructions on how to locate, remove, and install a solenoid pack properly for the 'cruiser.
Yeah, I actually cruised the forum using search before I asked, that was the DIY guide I mentioned. It's fairly thorough too.

I spoke to another dealer, and they said the 40TE and 41TE (non & turbo) come up with the same solenoid pack in their system, so chances are they're interchangable. They're about $255 at this dealer, but they're new vs. the remans the local one offered. They used my VIN to confirm my '06 has a 40TE.

Last edited by Kell; 08 Sep 2009 at 04:46 pm.