Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
REALLY DUMB QUESTION!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2009, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default REALLY DUMB QUESTION!!!!!!!

I just picked up a 2002 PT and was adding some coolant to the overflow tank. I thought I saw coolant hitting the ground out of the corner of my eye and thought the hose might have a leak. I followed the hose connected to the UPPER PART of the overflow tank and noticed it was not connected to anything, just hanging down so I guess some coolant had gone through this hose and hit the ground. Is this normal or should the hose connected to the UPPER PART of the overflow tank be connected to something on the other end. Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 08 Sep 2009, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: REALLY DUMB QUESTION!!!!!!!

There's only 1 hose coming from the overflow tank - it's about 1/2 way up the tank, but reaches to the bottom - it goes to a "T" at the top of the radiator.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Sep 2009, 07:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There is definetly a hose that is connected to the neck on the coolant overflow tank (maybe mine is a aftermarket tank, not the factory installed) but that hose is pointing down towards the ground and is hanging free, not connected to anything else.
Old 08 Sep 2009, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Look at the radiator cap - there needs to be a hose near there that goes to the overflow tank....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Sep 2009, 10:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

It seems to be an overflow hose to me.

I can't say for your 2002...but my 2004 has an overflow molded tube on the tank...so you have 3 choices:

1. The 2002 model had a different tank model
2. You have an aftermarket/replacement tank (I doubt about it though)
3. It's a DIY overflow hose installation of some sort

But don't worry...it's really normal that "something" comes from the upper part of the tank to nothing (ground directed). Rubber hose or hard plastic tube...it doesn't really matter.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 06:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Duster, that makes sense. I guess thats why they warn you not to overfill the overflow tank. I did some reading into how they actually work and I had no idea that coolant from the radiator flowed back into the overflow tank when it got hot (I know, I know, thats why they call it an "overflow" tank) I guess its better to have excess hot coolant be directed through a tube/hose towards the ground then blow the cap of the overflow tank open and spew all over the engine
Old 09 Sep 2009, 07:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, Duster's likely right, it's bound to be your overflow because you'd know if it was the rad hose to the overflow first time you got the car warm enough to open the thermostat.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 08:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

I noticed same thing in my 2002, but my reservoir tank wont hold any fluid. It all comes out this overflow hose. any idea?
Old 14 Nov 2013, 08:26 am
Banned

Holy thread revival batman
Old 14 Nov 2013, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacques View Post
I noticed same thing in my 2002, but my reservoir tank wont hold any fluid. It all comes out this overflow hose. any idea?
Anything tried?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com