Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
dead battery overnight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2009, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy dead battery overnight

My wife tried to go to work yesterday only to find that the battery was completely dead. The doors would not unlock with the key fob and it wouldnt attempt to do anything. I jumped it with a jumper pack and it ran like a champ. After only 5 minutes of driving up and down our street I turned it off and it fired right up.

The voltage at the battery was 14.36 volts (I'm assuming it was so high because the battery was dead). I came back out an hour later and it fired right up but when I shut it off I noticed something strange. The "P R N D" lights in dash for the transmission (automatic) were still on with the key out of the ignition. So I think that the last time wife drove the lights stayed on all night along with whatever else.

Obviously the ignition cylinder is screwed up or sticking causing this to happen. A slight wiggle of the key is sometimes enough to get the lights to go out before removing the key but more often than not the key has to be turned all the way down to the last position then back up one to remove the key.

I guess my question are: Is there a way to clean the cylinder to help prevent this? Can a cylinder be bought that would work with our key so the door locks don't have to be changed? Is this common in PT's?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Old 11 Sep 2009, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: dead battery overnight

I have read on the forums that extra keys on your key chain will put undue
strain on the cylinder. As for a lube try a squirt of a graphite spray.
Maybe this will help.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: dead battery overnight

It's about an eight minute job for a DIY person to change out the lock cylinder, if that is the problem. (It could be the electrical part, which raises it to 30 minutes.) The dealer can sell you a pre-keyed lock cylinder if you can give them the car's VIN. Bad news is that it'll cost about $150. You might get one cheaper from a good automotive locksmith.

I vote for the lock cylinder based on limited experience. And yes, it's true that a lot of weight on the key chain can bollix up the cylinder.