Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake Pad Brand Recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2009, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Brake Pad Brand Recommendation

Anyone have a recommendation on brand of Brake Pads for a 2002 PT (non turbo)????

Anyone use the Wearever Silvers from Advance Auto? They will cost less than $45 for all 4 but something tells me they might be crap...

I am looking for a balance of quality and price as I am on a budget.

One note: I am a predictive driver (in other words if I see a red light in 2 blocks I cruise in with the goal of NOT coming to a complete stop, instead of racing to wait at the red light and coming to a screeching halt, if the guy in his daddy's Benz behind me doesn't like it he can piss off) So that was a long way of saying I am not hard on my brakes

Thanks all!
Old 11 Sep 2009, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Brake Pad Brand Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002ptcruiserwoody723 View Post
Anyone have a recommendation on brand of Brake Pads for a 2002 PT (non turbo)????

Anyone use the Wearever Silvers from Advance Auto? They will cost less than $45 for all 4 but something tells me they might be crap...

I am looking for a balance of quality and price as I am on a budget.

One note: I am a predictive driver (in other words if I see a red light in 2 blocks I cruise in with the goal of NOT coming to a complete stop, instead of racing to wait at the red light and coming to a screeching halt, if the guy in his daddy's Benz behind me doesn't like it he can piss off) So that was a long way of saying I am not hard on my brakes

Thanks all!

And the knid of driver people hate to follow..... What are you 90 years old - dude it's a PT - have fun with it.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmegt View Post
And the knid of driver people hate to follow..... What are you 90 years old - dude it's a PT - have fun with it.
Where I live the roads have more than one lane. I don't feel the need to accomodate others, they can change lanes if they have a problem.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 07:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

If they will fit in your budget I would look for a low cost ceramic pad at Auto Zone, O Riley or Advance. Good luck

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.

Last edited by Decsr; 11 Sep 2009 at 07:48 pm.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NAPA Ceramic about $75.00, very little dust. The one big problem with the non ceramics is they will create dust, that is why a lot of cars have black front wheels.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Sep 2009, 09:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Based on experience with non-PTs, I use Performance Friction. May still be available at AutoZone and remarkably inexpensive. I use them on my Dodge truck, and the brakes get a workout when I am towing.

Brake dust? Phooey (at least to me). Means the brakes are working right and not wearing the disc unduly.

Last edited by Matt42; 11 Sep 2009 at 09:19 pm. Reason: dust