Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2009, 01:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Bad News

The other day I noticed that my PT that may have been abused by the person I loaned it to was leaving puddles of tranny fluid.
When I got under it today I could see a dent in the differential cove that came from the inside. Its a small dent but there is a small split in it that is letting the fluid leak. When I drive it every thing will be fine then it will downshift into first and make a sound like the power steering would when it is low on fluid. Its will also leak from between the engine and tranny. The only time it starts to piss fluid is when it downshifts and starts making noise. Any body have any ideas as to what went wrong? What will it cost to have a rebuilt put in? Any body have a diagram of the tranny because i might have to fix this myself because of money issues.

Thanks
Old 15 Sep 2009, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad News

So, you're leaking transmission fluid because of a crack in the cover. That may be all your problems stem from - you could be low on fluid.
Get a new cover, have the tranny fluid topped up, and see what you have.

HAS to be ATF + 4.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Sep 2009, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you feel your friend caused the damage, discuss how they want to proceed, does he want you to hand the bill to him???

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Sep 2009, 03:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
So, you're leaking transmission fluid because of a crack in the cover. That may be all your problems stem from - you could be low on fluid.
Get a new cover, have the tranny fluid topped up, and see what you have.

HAS to be ATF + 4.
The crack was caused from INSIDE the tranny. The dent is pushed out from the inside like something is blown like the differential.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 06:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
If you feel your friend caused the damage, discuss how they want to proceed, does he want you to hand the bill to him???
Best move so far

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 15 Sep 2009, 07:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatgo View Post
The crack was caused from INSIDE the tranny. The dent is pushed out from the inside like something is blown like the differential.
There is a pin in the middle of the diff that is held in by a pin. It sounds like the pin broke and allowed the big pin to come loose. Don't have a picture, sorry. Depending on how bad the internal damage is you may get away with replacing the diff and cover... If your not then well.... get ready to drop some coin. The whining noise id most likely from loss of fluid.
Doing one wheel burn outs is typically what causes this issue but it has been known to "just happen" with no evidence of any abuse. Check the front tires to see if they've been spinning. The tread will have streaks in it and the tread will most likely look real ratty.(Technical term.)
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsidders View Post
Best move so far
Unfortunately it was my nephew so I am going to have to bite the bullet on this one.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Unfortunately it was my nephew so I am going to have to bite the bullet on this one.
Bummer... It's probably going to be pricey. Can you take it out of his hide?
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Don't start the beatings until you find the problem!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Sep 2009, 09:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Don't start the beatings until you find the problem!
Just mental torture so far. Like..... sure I will give you money to go to the movies but HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GET THERE!!!!!!