PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
snow performance question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default snow performance question

Hi all,
Just came to this forum through a search.

I just moved up to the catskills from Long Island. I have an 06 PT touring edition.

I love my car and want to keep it. (Also getting another would be difficult at this time.

People are saying I should trade in for a 4 wheel drive. My street does get plowed but since we are on a lake we get a bit more snow. The street is also inclined. I can ride down almost all the way in neutral.

Of course good tires will have to be a must. But does anybody live in snowy rural areas and how does the PT do?

Thanks!!!!
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: snow performance question

Welcome.
What cars do neighbors have?
The stock Goo-for-a-Years are not good in rain or snow (or even the dry).
If you have 15" wheels, keep them. A narrower tread is better in snow than wide.
Good tires should be all you need.
I went past 4-wheel drive SUVs in ditches for several winters...

My word for snow/ice driving - SLOW
give gas SLOWLY
Steer SLOWLY
Brake SLOWLY
you can go fast, just take your time to get there.
If the wheels spin, ease up on gas.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Sep 2009, 02:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

A PT cruiser with good tires is as good or better than a 4wd with poor tires. Either get all season tires or consider even getting winter only tires on second hand wheels for the front.
Based on my driving in Michigan (non rural) winters, I'd try the car as is (assuming good tires) and be ready if you have to buy better tires.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys! You gave me a lot of confidence.

I think I am going to give it a go. "real" snowy winters is new for me but I'll go for the best tires around.

Most folks around here drive pick ups or SUVs a couple of mini-vans and I saw a PT down the road some.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 09:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Like I mentioned before, if you did want to be extra cautious you could go to a junkyard and get two used wheels of the same size and then get winter only snow tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks or equivalent (tire rack is a good source for information on winter only tires). Of course you would only need two for the front.
Or you could go talk to a few local tire stores about what all season tires that people in that area have had success with.
If anyone else has recommendations for good all season tires let us know.
But having said all of that you may find that you PT does pretty good as is.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 10:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Glad to hear we are not the only ones that found the OEM not-so Goodyears slippery even on dry roads.

X2 on the Blizzaks if they can be had in a size for the PT.

Have them on my 4x4 truck winter wheels and have yet been able to get it stuck or even in a good slide.

Last edited by lmmegt; 18 Sep 2009 at 10:44 am.