Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT leaking coolant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2009, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT leaking coolant

It seams to be leaking from the engine firewall (maybe some type of drain tube). After 30 minutes of driving the reservor is empty and she over heats. So whats the drain tube for, and what could possibly be causing this?

Thanks All
Bill
Old 16 Sep 2009, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT leaking coolant

There is no drain tube for the cooling system. It's a closed system to include the radiator, overflow bottle and engine. If the leak is that far back, maybe the overflow bottle is cracked or the tube running from the radiator to the overflow bottle is split or not attached properly.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The coolant is coming from what the service manual calls a drain tube, what I'm trying to figure out is why and what causes it to drain.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, you'll have to wait for someone else to help. I just did a search of all 2051 pages of the 2001-2004 Service Manual and the only two drain tubes in the whole manual are the A/C condensation drain tube and the A/C heater housing drain tube. Good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your input. I'll just keep checking back.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok more info, now that I've had more time to read the manual, the leak seams to be from the evaporator drain hose, when running the engine after enough time to get to operating temp, the evaporator drain line starts draining coolant (antifreeze). Its doing this fast enough to watch the coolant reservor go down. Why would it be doing this? And does this mean that the evaporator is bad? (hope not, the manual makes this repair to be a b*tch) Do you really have to take out the whole instrument panel?

Bill
Old 17 Sep 2009, 06:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure what causes it but yes, it's not easy to get to the evaporator that's buried deep in the HVAC system.

Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This posting puzzles me, the evaporator doesn't have a anti-freeze cross connection to the system. My evaporator will leak after running the A/C, but it is clear water not anti-freeze coolant. The water under the PT is NOT coollant.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
This posting puzzles me, the evaporator doesn't have a anti-freeze cross connection to the system. My evaporator will leak after running the A/C, but it is clear water not anti-freeze coolant. The water under the PT is NOT coollant.
Ernie, the only water that runs through the evaporator has to have anti-freeze in it, but he said the reservoir is empty so it has to be anti-freeze that's leaking and not the condensation (plain water) from the A/C that everyone sees under the car near the passenger front tire. That comes from a drain tube.

The thing is, when the evaporator break down it usually drips anti-freeze into the front passenger foot well inside the car not leak on the outside.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Sep 2009 at 08:13 am.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

...and that is what puzzles me, why is it running outside rather than inside, I had a leaking evap on another vehicle and it ran inside on the passenger side.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar