PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
IAT sensor wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2009, 07:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default IAT sensor wires

Hello.
In my seemingly unending attempt at fixing my check engine light...
I'm getting a "IAT sensor voltage too high" code. (along with the "running rich" code.)
I replaced the IAT sensor but that didn't help. I think it might be the wires that come out of the sensor on top. They seem slightly frayed. I've covered them in electrical tape but I would like to replace them. Does anyone know where I might be able to find the electrical harness that connects to the IAT sensor?
Thank you.
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 16 Sep 2009, 07:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: IAT sensor wires

Sure sounds like a dealer item only to me. That's kind a particular part that wouldn't be called for very often, if at all. I dought if anyone would have it in stock either.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pat, I have a question for you. Have you been using Chrysler or aftermarket sensors? Seems like you have been fighting the sensor problem for a long time.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Sep 2009, 09:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin, I'll call the dealership tomorrow and see.
Hooligan, I just replaced the sensor with an aftermarket one. Nothing changed though, I don't think the sensor was the problem. My gut is with the wires like it was with the MAP sensor a couple months ago.

Weird thing is that the car drives great after I've disconnected the battery for a while. Then after a couple drives it goes back to feeling sluggish again. This is what I get for being greedy with the Whipple I guess...
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 17 Sep 2009, 03:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Pat,, the reason I asked, is according to a number of posts, the aftermarket sensors don't seem to be as good as OEM's. Do you have access to a scanner? How are you diagnosing the problem you are having?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:19 am
Regular Cruiser

The check engine light is always on giving me codes 0172 (The oxygen sensor is saying that the system air/fuel mix is far too rich) and 1193 (Inlet air temperature sensor voltage is wrong).
I've had someone use a scanner and it just showed an 02 sensor was bad. Since then, I've replaced both O2 sensors, the catalytic converter, the MAP sensor, the IAT sensor, the plugs and wires twice, the timing belt and water pump, reflashed the Whipple ECU and brought it to countless "mechanics." Besides the check engine light, I can also feel the car is very sluggish. Like i mentioned before though, if I disconnect the battery for a while, the car feels amazing. Then it slowly goes back to its former self, all the while the check engine light is blaring at me.
Unfortunately no one really wants to look at it because of the Whipple. And being on the East coast, there are no shops that Whipple recommends.
I really need to get to California!!
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Dealership says I need an entire engine harness which cost $870 and isn't supplied by Chrysler anymore which means they don't exist. Really? For a 2001 car?
Ever get those days where you just want to drive the car off a cliff? This is very much a love/hate relationship. I'm really leaning towards taking off the Whipple or replacing the whole damn engine...
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Pat, I would remove the Whipple, disconnect the battery for a while and then restart the car to see what happens. Did all of the sensor problems start after installing the Whipple??

At this point I realize you are grasping at straws and are frustrated, but give it a shot, with all of the sensors you have replaced and the money you have poured into the PT. It is a good vehicle, we are on our third one.

Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:49 am
Regular Cruiser

I wish it was that easy. Removing the Whipple would be a very large undertaking and I think I'd only do it once! It also has its own ECU that connects after the stock one. There are many variables which is why its been hard to diagnose the problem I think.
I know its a good vehicle, I'm the original owner and waiting 9 months for it to be built back in 2000! I'm never getting rid of it. The only problems I've had are from the Whipple (I think!). Not bad for a first year car.
Thanks!
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Go to a automotive recycler and get the connector. What I think may be happening here is that the inlet temperature may in reality be too high coming from the blower. If it was a wiring or sensor issue it would come on as soon as you reset the light. It's one of those immediate response conditions. If it takes a few drives to set then that's what I would look at.
As for the fuel system too rich issue... Did the whipple come with new injectors? I don't know what all is in the kit. If it did most likely they are bigger injectors and some where along the line the PCM does not know or has not been told about the increase. It's over compensating because it's trying to use the original injector information. The reason it runs good for awhile then starts going sour is that when you reset it it goes back to factory original adaptives, which sounds like the right tune for the system. It then tries to correct what it sees as an incorrect fuel mixture. That's when the power falls off. Now having said all that... I don't know what to do to correct the issue.
Sorry.
Is there a dyno shop or a race shop in your area? You might be able to find someone that can tune it for you.