Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Auto Tranny question!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Auto Tranny question!!!

hey i was just noticing the other day that if i leave my tranny in 3 i get better mpg and it feels a lot stronger around town, i know i cant leave it in 3 on the highway but i was wondering if leaving it in 3 around town doing like 40 witch is about 2000rpms is ok for the tranny and the car? any ideas. thanks.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Auto Tranny question!!!

What your doing is just stopping the tranny from going into overdrive but if your staying under 40 it shouldn't hurt. Are you sure the tach wouldn't drop down lower than the 2000 rpm while you driving in D which would mean it does go into overdrive?

Remember that the PT tranny isn't the strongest one ever build (far from it) so keep up with the tranny flushes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 08:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

oh yes if i put it in D it will drop down, i mean that it stays at 2000 at 40 if i leave it in 3. sorry for the confusion.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Then, yes you'll have more power when you need it because your keeping the engine closer to the powerband but I don't see how your getting better mileage. Overdrive means the engine is turning over slower going the same speed so less work on the engine = better gas mileage.

In the long run (how long, who knows) it's better to let it shift itself into overdrive rather than keeping it in 3rd. I suppose there will be others that say different.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 09:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

well, i don't have enough information yet to positively say that i am getting good millage. all i know is that my scan gauge is saying that i am getting 25 mpg at 40 instead of 20 mpg, it all comes out in the wash. i just filled my tank up ill check it when its empty and drive in 3 the whole tank. i do notice that the engine sounds smoother i tend to notice when it shifted into d it felt like was working harder to pull the car at that low rpm not sure tho. thanks for your input.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 09:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buo123 View Post
well, i don't have enough information yet to positively say that i am getting good millage. all i know is that my scan gauge is saying that i am getting 25 mpg at 40 instead of 20 mpg, it all comes out in the wash. i just filled my tank up ill check it when its empty and drive in 3 the whole tank. i do notice that the engine sounds smoother i tend to notice when it shifted into d it felt like was working harder to pull the car at that low rpm not sure tho. thanks for your input.
Completely possible that closer to the powerband the motor is using less fuel for more RPM. Like you said - it'll wash out.