Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Red Neck cold air Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2009, 02:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Red Neck cold air Question

So I was thinking I know that some people have just run like aluminium laundry machine ducting from the original airbox to the front fascia, but my stepdad wont let me modify the airbox, because that would void our warranty. So I thought could I just do something like that. first I would make a box around the intake and then snake the tube from the fascia into that box area. any tips on what I should make the box out of?
anything that will make petey get from point A to point B a little faster. =]
heres a picture of what it looks like. And yes I know I need to clean my engine compartment.
EDIT: "I removed the picture so that CREWZIN would come back"

Driver:Alex
Car:Petey
2006 Inferno Red PT Cruiser Touring Signature Series, 38K, 15mpg, Automatic.

Exterior:American Racing Estrella 16s, Toyo Proxes TPT, ROL Xtreme Exaust Tip.
Interior:Bumblebee BobbleHead, 2 6x9s, pioneer ts-g1640r's in doors, Parking Permit for my schoool.
Performance:Custom Air Intake, NGK Platinum plugs, Ceramic Brake Pads, Duralast 7.5mm coil wires, Duralast Performance rotors.

Last edited by Alex_Clarke; 19 Sep 2009 at 11:00 pm.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 07:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Red Neck cold air Question

Alex,

I don't get it. You say your stepdad won't allow you to modify the air box because it will void the warranty (false) but that's another story. Then you show a picture of your engine with the original air box gone and a short air-ram stuck on it. So, it's already modified enough that if the dealer was going to say something about the warranty, he already would have.

If you want to modify what you already have, there's two things you need to do. Run a tube from the end of the blue filter over to the hole in the fender where the original air box pulled cool air from. Second, somehow build something that will limit the hot air from the engine getting to the filter sides.

..and don't expect Petey to get anywhere any faster. It might help your mileage a bit, but what you'll gain in speed, you'll never notice.

P.S. remember what I said about large pictures, please.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 02:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well By modifying the airbox I mean change the airbox's shape or form in anyway. I can take it out and do other stuff. as long as I can get it back in if needed. and anyhow the dealer warranty is over in about seven months so i'll wait until then to do anything drastic. I think I'll get a small amount of fsheet metal and make a wall around the air filter and just have some fun with it.
P.S. Sorry about the big pictures I'll try to remember to make them smaller in the future.

Interior:Bumblebee BobbleHead, 2 6x9s, pioneer ts-g1640r's in doors, Parking Permit for my schoool.
Performance:Custom Air Intake, NGK Platinum plugs, Ceramic Brake Pads, Duralast 7.5mm coil wires, Duralast Performance rotors.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 06:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just eyeballing, but looks like the cone filter might fit inside the stock filter box. Plug the stock exit, cut a hole for your aluminum pipe, and the stock intake from the wheel well will be functional, and the box would isolate heat...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Sep 2009, 10:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

My stepdad wouldn't wouldnt let me mess with the stock airbox so I just made my own. I Call it the redneck version of a Cold Air Intake using parts from the LAundry Machine and Dryer section Of home depot.
I made my own box out of aluminum sheet metal. used for the exhaust vent of the dryer, then covered it with a boatload (that was actually a word? lol) of aluminum foil tape( I love that stuff) and then took some aluminum ducting that I put through the air slot in the wheel well and then into the front "fascia" next to the fog light spot. I'm already noticing an increase in high end torque for some reason and much better gas mileage. I was driving like a maniac (like I normally do. lol) and the gas mileage kept going up instead of down. Surprised me quite a bit. Now if I only learn how to drive slower I could get like 400 miles out of a tank of gas!!! well maybe not. I will probably post pictures later because I finished after it got dark.

Old 20 Sep 2009, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Clarke View Post
My stepdad wouldn't wouldnt let me mess with the stock airbox so I just made my own. I Call it the redneck version of a Cold Air Intake using parts from the LAundry Machine and Dryer section Of home depot.
I made my own box out of aluminum sheet metal. used for the exhaust vent of the dryer, then covered it with a boatload (that was actually a word? lol) of aluminum foil tape( I love that stuff) and then took some aluminum ducting that I put through the air slot in the wheel well and then into the front "fascia" next to the fog light spot. I'm already noticing an increase in high end torque for some reason and much better gas mileage. I was driving like a maniac (like I normally do. lol) and the gas mileage kept going up instead of down. Surprised me quite a bit. Now if I only learn how to drive slower I could get like 400 miles out of a tank of gas!!! well maybe not. I will probably post pictures later because I finished after it got dark.
yeah, pics for sure please. . .
Old 20 Sep 2009, 05:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ignore this

Last edited by Alex_Clarke; 20 Sep 2009 at 06:07 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 06:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

It looks kinda crappy but all im trying for is economic not pretty. and it saved me $250.

Last edited by Alex_Clarke; 20 Sep 2009 at 06:06 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 06:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Old 20 Sep 2009, 06:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

oops. I was trying to resize the images. thats why there is three posts. lol