Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My PT downshifting hard!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2009, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question My PT downshifting hard!

Hello, i noticed my 2004 PT base with 45K is downshifting hard right before you come to a complete stop. I did do a search on the forum and it was inconclusive. I just bought the car from the dealer 8 days ago so i dont know if the fluid has been changed recently, but it looks full and clean.Common problem?Any suggestions? I do have a 2 year, 24k warranty.thanks

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 19 Sep 2009, 12:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My PT downshifting hard!

No, it's not a common problem, in fact I can't remember anyone having it. Since it's only 8 days since you bought it and you do have a warranty, I'd let the dealer/mechanic go for a ride with you and see what they think of it.

Did it have the problem when you took it for a test drive? You did test drive it, right?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

of course i test drove it. Just noticed it today

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 19 Sep 2009, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, your right at the time where the transaxle should be flushed, not just dropping the pan but completely flushed out. Maybe that will clear it up. Mention that to the service manager and maybe they'll do it on the cheap.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks Crewzin. i found this on a past thread.

I just bought a 2007 PT Cruiser, Tour Edition last month. The dealer gave a 30 day/1,000 mile warranty. Not two weeks after I drove it off the lot, I noticed that when it downshifts (it's an automatic) it's a rough shift, right around 20 mph. I took it back to the dealer and they said they replaced the lower engine strut and gave it a front-end alignment. As for the harsh downshifting, they said that's just normal - the car is shifted by a computer and it doesn't shift as smoothly as it should. Well I didn't believe them so I took it to my mechanic - he found a recall for the issue I'm having on Alldatadiy.com. The recall matches my year and problem perfectly - the only thing I don't know is if I have a Naturally Aspirated engine.

I called a Chrysler dealer and they said my VIN doesn't register any recalls. I called Chrysler directly and they said the same thing. But my problem is exactly what is listed on this recall! All it is, is a simple software update. If I had the proper StarSCAN equipment, I could do it myself in 15 minutes.

I have about a week left on my 30-day warranty. What should I do? Should I take it back to where I bought it and ask them to fix it and use the instructions from alldatadiy.com, even though my VIN doesn't register any recalls? Would they even do that? Or should I just suck it up, see if my mechanic can do it and just pay out of pocket? Chrysler mentioned I could try and be reimbursed, but I'm not holding my hopes too high on that one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 19 Sep 2009, 01:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I take it there wasn't an answer and the poster never got back here to say what he did?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually, this matches mine a little closer from a past thread.Anyways i guess i will call the dealer next week.Thanks Crewzin

at low speed, for instance when coming to a stop sign/stoplight, and when accelerating hard from low speed, my pt will suddenly feel as if someone has stomped hard on the brakes for just a fraction of a second, resulting in a strong lurch. it varies in intensity, but does happen more frequently now than it used to. my guess is that the transmission is downshifting into first gear when this happens. when accelerating away from stop signs/lights and crusing at highway speed, there is no abnormality call the dealer next week.Thanks Crewzin

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 19 Sep 2009, 01:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Weird jerking at stops familiar to anyone?

and another past thread!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser. My insurance card says Dream Cruiser but lately its been a little bit of a nightmare. The car drives great as it has for the past 6 years and I still love it. But lately when I apply the brakes the car will begin to stop as usual then all of a sudden it starts to jerk really weird. This only happens when I am braking or sitting there with my foot on the brake at an intersection. Kinda feels like the brakes are catching then letting go, then catching again. Sorry for the weird description, but...So, yesterday the engine light popped on and the fault codes were 1684 and 1924

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 19 Sep 2009, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I noticed this problem with out 2008 earlier this summer. Took it to my dealer Boniface-Heirs and they flashed both ECM & TCM, no more problem. Maybe just a flash will clear up the problem??

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 Sep 2009, 03:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My 08 PT has done the same thing downshifting though not as harsh as you describe since purchased about 5 months ago with 16000 miles on it. Now has 20000 miles and the harsh downshift seems to be going away...unusual, most things usually get worse?!? At the very least you should go on record with the dealer about the problem. Had the same transmission in a minivan some years back and it started harsh downshifting before it failed at about 85000 miles. Have read that a simple reprogramming can cure this type of problem...hopefully that is all you need.