Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bad bad noise!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2009, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default bad bad noise!!!

I have a 2006 PT and it recently started making a horrible sound from the accessory side of the engine,sounds like a seized bearing at times,and then a grinding sound,then nothing.Could it be the alt. or water pump or the tensioner?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 03:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: bad bad noise!!!

Front wheel bearing would be my guess. Take it to a good tire dealer like Les Schwab, they can diagnos, fix and align for much less than a stealership.

You bad noise......... You very, very bad noise.

Old 19 Sep 2009, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

not a wheel,car is not moving.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 05:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmansnj View Post
I have a 2006 PT and it recently started making a horrible sound from the accessory side of the engine,sounds like a seized bearing at times,and then a grinding sound,then nothing.Could it be the alt. or water pump or the tensioner?
Could be any of the above. How many miles on the car? I've found that one of the local dealers, in business since 1927, costs about 10% more, but has a PT guy that gets it right the first time, and uses the correct parts. YMMV
Old 19 Sep 2009, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you listen with the hood open, you ought to be able to pinpoint it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Sep 2009, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Go to a aftermarket dealer and buy and install a good noise, that way it will cancel out the bad noise. Just kidding!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 Sep 2009, 07:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmansnj View Post
sounds like a seized bearing at times,and then a grinding sound,then nothing.Could it be the alt. or water pump or the tensioner?

Since we're all just taking a guess, it might be the compressor too. Was/is the air-conditioning working?
Old 20 Sep 2009, 08:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll have to check on the a/c pump but I think it is from the accessory drive.What would a turbo sound like if it was going?And hooligan,I'll check the price on the good noises,but around hear everything is at premium prices,lol.Thank you all for your input so far!!