Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
need spark plug help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2009, 07:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question need spark plug help please

Well i got all my spark plugs (.040) and wires replaced except for one spark plug.it will not come out. it stays tight while my ratchet just keeps spinning..i had to put everything back together because i lost daylight it has to be replaced because my others looked bad and they were gapped at .055-.060. will this harm anything having changed only 3 of the 4.How can i get the last one out?

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 19 Sep 2009, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: need spark plug help please

Shouldn't hurt anything.
I don't understand - do you think the "nut" on plug is rounded off? Is ratchet broken?
Don't understand how it can spin without coming out...Even if it was stripped, ought to come out...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Sep 2009, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i do think the spark plug is rounded off at the nut.how can i get it out you think? Thanks so much.

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 19 Sep 2009, 09:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wow. Never heard of that. Maybe someone else has an idea.
I hope head doesn't have to come off...
Old 19 Sep 2009, 10:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Be sure you are using the correct size 6 sided socket - not the 12 sided version....

Old 19 Sep 2009, 10:24 pm
Young Cruiser

You should buy a new 5/8 spark plug socket and try again,just make sure the engine is cold,the plugs come out easier.I just changed my plugs earlier today and it only took me 30 minutes so i was happy,so much easier than my last car.Good luck with the stubborn plug.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 08:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj8 View Post
Well i got all my spark plugs (.040) and wires replaced except for one spark plug.it will not come out. it stays tight while my ratchet just keeps spinning..i had to put everything back together because i lost daylight it has to be replaced because my others looked bad and they were gapped at .055-.060. will this harm anything having changed only 3 of the 4.How can i get the last one out?
How many miles on the car? Do you know of the plugs are OEM? If OEM, the plug may be galled or seized in the head.

--As said above, make sure you are using a for-real 5/8 inch six-point spark plug socket. (It will have what looks like a rubber hose shoved inside.) DO NOT use a 12 point because it could round off the spark plug's flats.
--Blow out the spark plug recess with compressed air. If you don't have that, use a 2 foot thin hose and blow thru it.
--Using the for-real spark plug socket, try an extension bar of about 18 to 24 inches long. If that won't work - - -
---Dribble some penetrating oil down into the spark plug well, enough to cover the area below the spark plug's flats. Drive for a few days.
---Again try to remove the spark plug.

If this fails, you may be in for a trip to a mechanic. It has never failed me, though.

When I reinstall sparkplugs, I always give the threads a thin coating of molybdenum disulfide ("moly") paste or nickel paste as an anti-seize. Then I use a torque wrench to tighten the plugs.

Good luck.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 09:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

They are OEM plugs.my 2004 PT has 45k.The last plug is still in there. i have a call in to my mechanic.All the others came out easily. Is it possible to have carbon build up in the spark plug well so the socket does not properly seat?

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 21 Sep 2009, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Damn, it was going so smoothly too. until the last one. was gonna be a 45min job that turned in a nightmare.How will the old sparkplug affect the new ones?

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 21 Sep 2009, 10:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj8 View Post
They are OEM plugs.my 2004 PT has 45k.The last plug is still in there. i have a call in to my mechanic.All the others came out easily. Is it possible to have carbon build up in the spark plug well so the socket does not properly seat?
That would indicate something really wrong beyond just spark plugs.