PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Am I being ripped off?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2009, 09:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY
Default Am I being ripped off?

I took my car to the local dealer today to have some brake work done. I decided to have them check out the "clunking noise" from the front end while I was there. They said they heard noises from both the front and rear end of the car. The front end clunk they diagnosed as the lower control arms and bushings needing replacement. The rear end they say was the sway bar linkages. The total cost of repair was going to be around $900. To me, this is an absurd price to pay, to simply fix a noise that does no harm.

Is it essential to replace the lower control arms, or can I simply just replace the bushings? and If control arms need to be replaced, why? I dont quite understand how they would wear down exactly.

Also, is this price on par with what you guys have paid or is it high?

Thanks,

George

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 10:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Am I being ripped off?

U own a PT........ Enough said..........

But why would DIYPTGUY even consider having it done when he can DIY it?

Old 21 Sep 2009, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PTDIYGUY, do a search on here, if I remember correctly many owners have just replaced bushings where possible using urethane bushings.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Sep 2009, 09:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok.... I will will say this.... That is actually a pretty decent price. The reason that they are recommending new arms is simple. It's much less work and less liability on there part. The bushings are a known issue. Also quite possibly the balljoint boots are torn or missing. I have seen that quite often. If water gets in then all bets are off. The best repair is to replace the entire arm. The arms run about 175-180 I think. It's about 4.5 hrs labor plus the alignment. As for the rear sway bar probably about 125-150 in parts and about 1-2 hrs labor.... You're getting off pretty cheap. At the dealership it'll run about 12-1400 bucks for the same repair.
As for is it nec.? How much noise can you live with? Apparently it annoys you enough to have some one check it out so... Is it $900 worth the annoyance or would you rather fix it?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 09:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY

That actually was the dealers price for both repairs, so I guess its actually a great price (same dealership charges $800 for a timing belt and water pump change! Pretty sweet eh?). I just dont have the money for it. I think I will have the bushings replaced for sure though. After doing a search, I found that the bushings can also cause an obnoxious creaking grind (old matress sound) which I have also experienced. So, I think I will have the bushings and sway bar linkages replaced.

Are the sway bar linkages something that I could do myself?

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 08:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That' a hella good price at a dealership! The rear sway bar bushings and links are not that hard if you have some decent mechanical skills.
$800 for a timing belt is great! Sounds like you found a very affordable dealership. If they are good then spread the word!