Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Box question 2006 PT rt 66

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2009, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Air Box question 2006 PT rt 66

I have a question that I am needing help with.

I was looking to change out my air filter with a K&N drop in and mod the airbox. However, when I took the top off the air box and checked the snorkel, it is loose and not attached to anything on the outside of the box. I am able to twist and slide it to my liking, and I can see the hole where cool air should be entering. Is this how it should be?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air Box question 2006 PT rt 66

The air box tube should be attached to the tube coming up from the opening in the front wheel housing. You may have to pull the air box straight up as it is held in place with two "pegs", that way you can see where the tube is.

The way it now is, the "hot" air from the engine compartment is being sucked into the air box rather that outside air.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Sep 2009, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I looked but all I see in the hole from the wheel well is just sheet metal. No tube or connection.

I am wondering if the person that had the car before me had a cold air intake and kept the box but no cothing else or just did some other mods.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 08:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I looked but all I see in the hole from the wheel well is just sheet metal. No tube or connection.
This is how it comes stock. Nobody modified yours. If you were able to get a different angle you would realize that there is a path to the cool air under the front bumper a bit forward of the fender, but its not straight through. Try looking at more of an angle like from the rear engine compartment. YOu'll eventually find the light! It's quite a clever design actually.

Reason for that is that your tires will fling water up and right into the air box if it were just a hole.

The PT comes stock with what I like to call a "cool air" intake. At speed cold air will make its way up that path and tend to displace any hot engine compartment air.

Take a thermo reading inside the box and you'll see that stock is very cool compared to most cars. On mine its about 95F when its 85 out. I blocked that path off and the air box rose to over 140 so it works out of the box.

The snorkel is normally NOT actually connected to the fender, it just sort of sits there within a half inch or so of what you would "think" there should be a hole to the fender. DOn't go cutting or drilling there, you'll just introduce water in the air box.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[QUOTE=
The snorkel is normally NOT actually connected to the fender, it just sort of sits there within a half inch or so of what you would "think" there should be a hole to the fender. DOn't go cutting or drilling there, you'll just introduce water in the air box.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that! I was trying to get a picture posted because I didn't think it was just supposed to be "out there not connected" . Never realized this before. Still seems a bit odd not connected but it does make sense about the water issue. I will try to compare temps though just to be sure everything is on the up and up.

Again a big thank you.