Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
getting 17.0mpg?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2009, 07:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default getting 17.0mpg?

So for while my 2007 PT says i was getting 17.4mpg for some time, then i took it to dealer to get fixed, guy said there was some residue leakage or something, then the rotten smell of eggs went away. but now it says im getting 17.0mpgs, and has not increased or decreased at all.. whats going on here? does anyone else have this problem?. thanks.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: getting 17.0mpg?

Please do not use that read out for your mileage, it is a average of your driving over a period of time. You can use pen and paper or Fuelly.com to get a better idea for each fill up. Good Luck.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Sep 2009, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Please do not use that read out for your mileage, it is a average of your driving over a period of time. You can use pen and paper or Fuelly.com to get a better idea for each fill up. Good Luck.
Thanks man, phew, i thought there was some wrong with my PT.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclon99 View Post
Thanks man, phew, i thought there was some wrong with my PT.
...but don't count on a whole heck of a lot more than that especially if you drive in the city. You should reach in the low 20's without any problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
...but don't count on a whole heck of a lot more than that especially if you drive in the city. You should reach in the low 20's without any problem.
Especially if you "Run & Gun it" up to traffic lights and slam on the brakes. If you want better mileage you'll learn to drive like a "mature" person or a 18 wheel truck driver, watch them, and you'll see they normally "coast" up to traffic lights without using their brakes, just downshifting.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Sep 2009, 08:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
then the rotten smell of eggs went away.
They ran some cleaner through it, which often gives the residual smell of rotten eggs. It turns into sulfur in the cat, or it has sulfur in it.

Hope you didn't pay more than a couple bucks for it.

THere is nothing wrong, your PT is getting its typical gas mileage. WIfe gets 16-18 (lead foot) in the city, but we swap from time to time, and I get over 20. A LOT has to do with the driver.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 08:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the replies, i usually dont have AC turned on, and i do have windows down, and i slow stop to traffic lights already. i dont see how pt cruisers get mileage like big trucks do...
Old 23 Sep 2009, 09:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
i dont see how pt cruisers get mileage like big trucks do...
I do, it's aerodynamically a brick, it's heavy, the stock motor is a bit undersized for the weight, and the final gear set is so tall such that the car is up in the "power band" far more than other cars.

Great for emissions and accelleration so the car doesn't feel like a heavy brick. Chrysler would have done far better to put a 3.0l V6 in with a final ratio more like 3.23.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

or the same diesel that they put in the European models with a 6 speed some one on here said they were getting in the 30's but hey we got to please them freaking emission gods and Chrysler could have done so many better things with our PT's that would have made them a blast to drive----and get great millage