PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Pan with Drain Bolt - They Exist !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2009, 03:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Transmission Pan with Drain Bolt - They Exist !

Check it out - too bad it's not also deeper with more fluid capacity........

2001 - 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Transmission Pan - AM Autoparts

Last edited by lmmegt; 22 Sep 2009 at 03:24 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 03:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Pan with Drain Bolt - They Exist !

Good find. No matter if it was able to hold more fluid, you still have the same internals that will fail if you push it too hard.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 09:21 am
Regular Cruiser

I like it. Never trusted the flushing machines and/or many of those that use them. Though it upsets our sensibilities to leave half the fluid unchanged; it's like George Burns said when he was asked how it was to be 80. It beats the alternatives. I do, however, also like the idea of changing the filter regularly.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 09:20 am
Regular Cruiser

I don't like flushes either....the drain bolt fluid change is just as good if you do it twice. Flush once, then drive your PT about 30miles continous and drain n' fill again. You should be able to change at least 80% or more of the fluid doing it this way. Your recirculating the new fluid with the remaining fluid.s Also the added benefit of saving money and inconvenience of leaving your car with the mechanic. My .02!

66CUDA
Old 27 Sep 2009, 04:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CYCLONE_06 Send a message via Yahoo to CYCLONE_06

Why not just take the sending line off and let it run off into a bucket until it stops, then take the pan down while its empty, no mess, then put in the 4 quarts, then start it and let it run then finish filling it up ?

~CYCLONE_06

"It's been said winning isn't everything... Just not by me."
--Mark Martin
Old 27 Sep 2009, 06:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

I don't know what the sending line is. I doubt there is any line that you can disconnect that will allow draining the pan without running the engine. I have changed atf that way but don't think it's a good idea and I won't do it again.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 09:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I don't know what the sending line is. I doubt there is any line that you can disconnect that will allow draining the pan without running the engine. I have changed atf that way but don't think it's a good idea and I won't do it again.
There are two lines on the top of the transmission that are under the battery, they run to the cooler. If you unhook the sending line, and start the motor, it should pump the fluid out, and i would venture to say as long as you turn it off as soon as the fluid diminishes, then it would be fine. That way, it drains the pan, and gets all the old crap out of the tranny and cooler. Then just drop the pan, change the filter, and put the new stuff in.

~CYCLONE_06

--Mark Martin
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:24 am
Regular Cruiser

The way I did it was disconnect one of the lines at the radiator, I suppose it's the other end of the line you are referring to, but I just don't trust doing that any more like I don't trust the flush. Some portion of the trannie is turning without oil. I still do it to flush power steering systems but I keep the reservoir full so that the pump is never without oil...... It's likely fine, I just don't trust it.
Old 02 Oct 2009, 10:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The way I did it was disconnect one of the lines at the radiator, I suppose it's the other end of the line you are referring to, but I just don't trust doing that any more like I don't trust the flush. Some portion of the trannie is turning without oil. I still do it to flush power steering systems but I keep the reservoir full so that the pump is never without oil...... It's likely fine, I just don't trust it.
Yea I disconnected the line on the right side on the top of the tranny (if u are facing the car), then hooked a long line and let it hang down under the car into a big bucket. I then started the car and continuously fed new fluid through the tranny until the old crap came out. Then I put 11 quarts through to do a full flush, then shut it off, dropped the pan, changed the filter, cleaned the magnet, and thats all she wrote.

~CYCLONE_06

--Mark Martin