PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Temperature controls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2009, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Temperature controls

Hi,
I'm new here. I have a 2003 Cruiser that has about 86k miles on it. I have recently noticed that the dial that controls where the heating/cooling is directed only moves about 1/2 way around the dial - about a 1/4 turn to either side. I live in upstate NY and not having the ability to set the defroster is not a good thing with winter coming. I've switched the dial with the temperature control, and that one does the same thing (and the other one works fine on the temperature control.) So, I am assuming the problem is a switch somewhere? Has anyone had this issue, and if so, can you share what the fix is? (I also had a/c issues this summer, so I am wondering if the car is reaching it's peak??)
Thanks very much!
Old 22 Sep 2009, 07:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Temperature controls

Make sure you are selecting "outside air"(the knob on the right) and not interior circulation. I have an 03 GT and found that the defrost wouldn't work, and the selector knob locked unless it was on out side air. Try that and let us know.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks so much for your reply! Yes, I have it set on outside air. I moved it to internal air to make sure I had it moved all the way over, and as I tried to turn the other dial to defrost, the internal air setting actually changed itself back to outside air. So that seems to be working ok.

What is wierd is that the knob for selecting where the air will go, clicks as it moves to a certain point, then moves the rest of the way without clicking and as soon as I let go of it, it will bounce back to the last clickable spot. (I hope that makes sense!)
Old 22 Sep 2009, 08:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Sounds like you may have to readjust the cables.... Just not 100 percent sure how to do it. Haven't ever had to.
Old 03 Oct 2009, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, after 2 days with my mechanic, he found the cable behind the dash was "frozen" and had a "kink" in it (the cable was a wire inside a covering, and the wire was not moving as the dials were turned.) The cable - $6.35; the labor - $130; having my little PT back on the road with a working defroster - priceless!

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate them!