Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating PCM error code

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2009, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating PCM error code

I have had a pcm error code for about a month and all has been well other than the bright light on the dash. however this weekend it began overheating and the fan won't kick on. I pulled the fan and I can get it to turn on with a battery directly connected where should my plan of attack be from here. Also I have noticed that the A/C is blowing warm will idling or under hard acceleration prior to the pcm light on, don't know if it's related or not just thought that I would throw that in there. Any clues let me know please.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating PCM error code

BiggDogg, welcome to the Forum!! Please do a search for over heating, this is usually caused by the fan motor, one speed is shot, to correct this, you'll need a new fan motor.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Sep 2009, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I understand that although shouldn't the fan kick on at least one speed if the other is shot? I have read over 90% of the overheating issues on this forum that is why I am posting. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I should add when I pulled the fan I could only get the low speed side to work do I need to connect to both sides of the connector at the same time to start the high speed fan?
Old 23 Sep 2009, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You didn't post what year the PT is but if it's 01-05 you should have 3 wires to the fan. The middle is ground and one side is low the other is high. Unless it's a turbo which has a variable speed fan. The more info you give us the easier it is to help.

To answer your question, NO the "other" speed won't kick on until a particular temperature is reached.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry I have a 01 pt cruiser limited, what I meant by the low speed connector is I took it out of the vehicle and connected the negative to the middle and the positive to one side and nothing happened then I connected it to the other pin and I would assume it was the low speed because it wasn't spinning all that fast. My question is shouldn't the high speed kick on even if I connected it directly to the battery and is there any way to test a relay? Thanks again for all your input.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The relays are inter-changeable so you can take the horn relay after you tested to make sure the horn is working and replace it with any other relay.

The high speed fan is very loud so if the fan wasn't loud when you got it to come on, it was the low speed. Until the temperature sensor recognized the coolant to be at a pre-deternined level the high speed fan wouldn't come on just because the low speed is working. But it should come on when you hook up a direct wire from the battery.

Works the same way in my Corvette. My auxiliary fan is set to come on at 230 degrees. The regular fan is supposed to take it up to there. if the regular fan stopped working, the auxiliary wouldn't do a darn thing until 230.

You should also check to see if the low speed comes on when you turn on the A/C. First thing in the morning or after the PT sits for a number of hours, start the car and turn on the A/C. The fan should come on when the compressor starts to work.

By the way, did you ever use the error code list and find out what the code was that brought the light on in the dash. On the top of this Tech section there's 2 stickys showing you how to retrieve the code and how to break it out to show the computer fault.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Sep 2009 at 05:03 pm.