Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Revs in Pulses with Full Acceleration - PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2009, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Revs in Pulses with Full Acceleration - PT Cruiser

My friend has a PT Cruiser (2008, 4 cylinder, 15 K miles) that seems to be having problems.

The engine idles fine but when it is given gas, either in gear or in neutral, the engine revs up and down continually as if it's only firing on half its cylinders. When I watched him explain the problem the first time, I thought he was pumping the pedal in and out to make the engine rev and jump like it did, back and forth, back and forth, in rapid succession.

He reports that the car gets terrible gas mileage (well under 20mpg).

He took it into the dealership and got what he feels was a typical line from a dealer - "the car is supposed to do that." The dealer's explanation for what my friend and I perceive as a real problem is that the car is designed to fire only two cylinders at a time. While this makes sense, I suspect this is pure hogwash as an explanation for an engine that has obvious problems.

I wanted to run this by a community of knowledgeable PT Cruiser owners who may have had this problem or know something more about how the engine is supposed to look and respond when given gas. Your insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Revs in Pulses with Full Acceleration - PT Cruiser

I have a 2008 and it does NOT idle up & down or pulse. The dealer is feeding him and you a line. Was the car purchased from the dealer or was it a private sale? Has he had the car long? If it was from the dealer, it should have at the least a 30 day warranty, take it back.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Sep 2009, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was going to say the alternator but then i reread and saw how it idles fine... 15K and already starting with problems??? that sucks. I can attest the car is definetley NOT "supposed to do that" I have a '02 with 90K and the engine accelerates and idles smooth so forget that. I would say start with the small stuff. Has he changed the air filter? take a look at the spark plugs and see if they're fouled... My only other advice is too put pressure on the dealer. Sounds like they are trying to stall your friend for another 21K miles (or until the 36K mile warranty expires)
Old 23 Sep 2009, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, thank you. He just talked to the mechanic he used to go to before he bought the new car and the mechanic told him that all PT Cruisers do this. I've shared your information with him and have suggested he have someone else look at it.
Thanks
Old 23 Sep 2009, 03:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah my best advice to you would be to find a new mechanic.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpharino567 View Post
Ok, thank you. He just talked to the mechanic he used to go to before he bought the new car and the mechanic told him that all PT Cruisers do this. I've shared your information with him and have suggested he have someone else look at it.
Thanks

I don't know of ANY car that does what you describe - that doesn't have a problem.
He should try a different dealer - should still have warranty...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles